1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on to a less senior position

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by balboa, Jun 19, 2019.

1. balboa

balboa New commenter

I'm currently a Subject Lead in Computing and looking for another job. Pretty keen to move asap. Not many subject lead/ HoD jobs come up in my subject, I think partly as the departments are often small. I've seen quite a few teaching jobs recently but I am already on UPS3 and with a TLR payment. Obviously if I moved to a straightforward teaching role I would lose the TLR.

I'm wondering how many schools would employ a teacher that is taking a step down and also needs to be paid at this level? I keep hearing most schools prefer NQTs as they are cheap. obviously I can apply and see what happens but just wondering if anyone has any ideas of the likelihood of me getting a job at this level?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

As you teach computing you can more or less name your salary!

3. chevonanc

chevonanc New commenter

In all honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much if I was you. Most schools face the risk of not having enough teachers for the start of the year. It is true that some are forced to hire NQT's because they're cheaper but in my experience those same schools will try as far as possible to balance out the new recruits with at some more seasoned teachers. Just go for it! What have you got to lose?