1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on from teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ACVX, Sep 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ACVX

ACVX New commenter

After two years of English teaching, I know I can't do this any more for my mental health.
    I've now been out of teaching for a year and job searching with no luck.
    All my previous work experience has been geared towards teaching, aside from 8 months in an admin job.
    I would love to work in instructional design, course design or so on, but my applications either get no replies, or I am rejected straight out. I am interested in working in Education (though not teaching) but it seems my experience is not any use.
    I desperately need some advice or suggestions; I know this is an awful time to be applying for jobs, but I have no choice.

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I think you with only two years teaching that you are unlikely to be offered a post in instructional or course design. I can't imagine that there are many post of this kind either.

Tutoring students does come to mind and there may be some agencies involved in the catch-up initiative because of COVID. Perhaps a bit too close to teaching?

In the short term because of COVID the growth area is in internet shopping and home delivery. Unlikely to use your particular skills.
    You may well have to take some jobs that don't appeal to you. Sometimes they can act as stepping stones to other opportunities.

I wish you well in your job hunting and home some other posters have more ideas than me.

BenjaminBoxer and ACVX like this.
  3. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Register with supply agencies?
    Search on Linkedin for jobs they have a few

4. ACVX

ACVX New commenter

I really don’t want to do supply; I couldn’t really do behaviour management in outstanding grammar schools, so supply would be impossible.
    I am searching for jobs on LinkedIn, but it’s rare that my applications even get replies, despite having multiple people check them.

5. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I think the way to approach this current dilemma is to look at the options out there and put yourself forward for tutoring, supply(grammar school - behaviour management?? not sure there is an implication in this scenario - I would think that state academies/comprehensives would pose a bigger issue) but if you are wanting to earn money I would say try to look for jobs that can use your current skills until the right opening shows itself. Admin posts, non teaching roles in schools, looking for posts in your LA education department, entry level posts in other industries, to get on the ladder etc.
    I may have missed this but after two years, I presume you left after NQT year, so what happened to cause you to have such an aversion to teaching? Also reconsider tutoring or similar posts as they are much reduced role with limited responsibilities.

6. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

If your mental health is fragile, honestly now is not the time to do supply. P5 I had a a car crash cover, not knowing which of 3 groups would converge on a room. In the event they all did! I survived by having a plan A + B. I have done much work in this school: we talk to each other. I survived by not trying to push water up hill, a dollop of good humour. No projector: no seating plan. I moved kids and threw the worst one of them to the SLT shark on patrol pour encourager les autres. 30 C was survived. Some semblance of learning happened and a day's pay well earned. This is a v good school.

You cannot be expected to deal with the Covid reality. At the risk of stating the obvious, what about the private sector? My maths is terrible but unless you've taken time out, you sound quite young. You've a world of choices. Teaching is a really rough trade. Unless your face fits, schools will chew you up and spit you out. That is why I'm a UPS teacher struggling to make ends meet on supply.

The tutoring bandwagon is probably overloaded. Remember too that chasing jobs in this line means not exploring what could be much more fruitful lines outside of teaching. If you're determined to teach, check out the Teach First graduate mentors scheme to help disadvantaged students catch up. NB the pay is low, even for qualified teachers + it's very short term.

tenpast7 likes this.
  7. ACVX

ACVX New commenter

I think I've been somewhat unclear; I struggled with the behaviour management in grammar schools, so I think I would be completely useless at the tougher behaviour encountered in comprehensive schools and supply roles.
    I left after my first RQT year.
    I've had a go at tutoring, but live very near a rather prestigious university, so the market is incredibly saturated with students doing it to earn some pocket-money, so I only managed to attract one student.
    I don't want to stay in teaching (I was interviewed by around 10 independent schools last year, but never made the final cut) so was really looking for advice about what transferable skills I might have, and if there are any industries the particularly value them, as my applications to both admin and education positions have yielded few replies and no interviews.

8. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Have you considered getting a job with a charity as their education officer? They go round schools teaching children about what the RSPCA etc do but you won't have to worry about behaviour issues as that'll be the role of the usual class teacher who'll be in class with you. Schools aren't generally having visitors in at the moment but you might be able to do the job remotely.

Another at some point might be to become a tour guide. You'll be helping a different age group learn but you won't encounter behaviour problems.

BenjaminBoxer likes this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Teaching children who are in hospital for extended periods is another possibility as is running adult education classes (when they eventually resume).

Yoda- likes this.
  10. leverarch1970

leverarch1970 New commenter

18 years of teaching -At the end of a day in the classroom I go to Tescos and get "check-out envy" .... (and yes still using transferable skills, customer service, IT skills and organisation).

You don't say how old you are but I think you are below 50, so not fully stuck in the ways of education. Go do something you like....I still like teaching so haven't applied to Tesco's...yet (other supermarkets are available).

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to work at Tesco's !

I had to stop teaching for a bit to look after my folks - when I was able to look for work again I got a job at Tesco before I started supply teaching.

It isn't too bad actually but then I worked nights.

12. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

I bought a copy of the TES in Tesco. The checkout cashier asked if I was a teacher. When I said yes, he replied: "I was a head until I took early retirement. I've never been ****ing happier!"

MJHa likes this.