1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on from Being Signed of with Anxiety and Depresion

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by stevemusic, Apr 1, 2019.

1. stevemusic

stevemusic New commenter

Hi
    Just looking for some advice on how anyone else has dealt with moving on to a new Job after being signed off sick, In my case with Anxiety and Depression. To elaborate a little, I completed my NQT in 2018 on a part time contract. I have dyslexia and ADHD so working part time really worked well for me and I finished my NQT in a really positive place. For various reasons i decided I wanted to take on the challenge of going full time for the fist time this September. I applied for a few Jobs and eventually got a full time Job teaching music secondary. Unfortunately very suddenly just a few weeks after I got the job My dad passed away. Over the summer holiday I said to my wife on a number of occasions that this new job was too much to handle now and was very concerned but wanted to honor the contract and was hoping I could still take on the new challenge.

Unfortunately despite arranging some counselling for myself and trying to get as much support outside work I really struggled to get my emotional state In the right place for teaching. And as any teacher knows in teaching you need to be emotionally together to do well. I did manage most of the year but at the start of February for various reasons the situation got very overwhelming and I stood in a lesson to teach and everything went weird and distant and I couldn't function.

The Doctor signed me off and its been a slow few months working towards recovery. I decide to resign during that time and after Easter will have no Job. When the doctor says i'm recovered enough I'm going to look at getting some work but am now feeling concerned as I've never been signed off before in my career and am concerned that I will be able to find any work, either in teaching or outside.

Just reaching out to see if anyone has any advice or experience moving on from being signed off sick with anxiety/ depression? Would love to know how you went about dealing with the amount of sick days on the reference in regards to an new employer, and also just getting your head back into gear to do...anything! I think if i can get my head round teaching again it will be part time from here on in as that worked for me with the ADHD and dyslexia. Any positive constructive advice or personal stories similar to this would be very helpful.

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Sorry Steve you went through all of this. If you hadn't resigned, I would have advised you to speak to the union to ensure you get a good agreed reference. You did a noble thing in resigning as you could have stayed on and been off sick long term. I would contact the union and ask them to negotiate a good reference for you.

Loads of teachers have been through a lot and some return and some run for the hills. Whatever you decide, you have to ensure that you do not get like this again. The teaching scenario may get like this again, but you mustn't. You have to promise yourself and your wife and family that.

Have you contacted the Education Support Partnership for extended telephone counselling where you can get up to 6 sessions with the same counsellor to explore what you went through and come up with some strategies for coping with this in the future? You see, when it starts to creep up, you have to have strategies to deal with it so that it doesn't become too overwhelming. This looks great on paper, but when you don't have time to think, this is where you can get in trouble. So if anything, don't ever commit to a full time teaching role in a school.

If you are going to continue teaching, consider primary, many schools want a day's music teaching and you could perhaps get 3 of these, or another part time in a secondary school or FE colleges.

Whatever you do, you have to look forward and hope that the best will happen.

BYusuf and stevemusic like this.