1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on DAYS...

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Do your school do these where by you are given your new class for the day or a few hours? My school is having a moving on day where we can have our class for the day. What kind of activities have you done in the past or what do you wish you had done...this is new to me and I want to make sure I get the best out of the day to help with planning etc.

2. Never heard of this happening in Scotland, sorry.

3. We have done it in all the schools I've worked in (ranging from about half an hour to 2 hours). Generally it's just a chance to meet them, do a circle time about what they are looking forward to next year and sometimes some sort of craft/art if it's a bit longer. I don't think anyone really finds it a help with planning - it just means you know what they look like and vice versa!

4. We do this my school for an afternoon in the manner already mentioned (an afternoon, get-to-know you session) and our ht is very keen that the children have fun and are looking forward to being in your class after summer.
    We have separate teacher-to-teacher transition meetings which are useful with respect to planning.

5. We do this every year when the P7s go the the academy for their transition days. We have a morning when the children 'move up' and spend that time in their new classes.
    The new class teacher choses the activities they will do as they are age appropriate and also depend on if teachers are changing stage and how the year groups are moving on. As we are a medium sized school the teachers often keep some children and get some 'new' ones.
    The children love it. It is a chance for the children to learn about the expectations for their new class and get to mix with the children they will spend the next session with.