1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on...but not out of choice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by silverdale1766, Jul 5, 2015.

1. I'm leaving my current job at the end of term, it was temporary but I've been there a couple of years and have really enjoyed my time there. I have a job from September in a larger school with a more 'corporate' feel to it. I accepted the post because I just couldn't do without a job but I'm already regretting my decision.ni wanted to be excited about the job but I guess the fear of starting afresh, the upset at leaving a school I love and knowing I'm going to an outstanding school with lots of pressure is really stressing me out.

I need reassurance that this is a normal feeling but if the worst comes to the worst will employers even look at someone who has left a new job quite soon after starting?

I have also posted this in primary.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Try not of worry about the future too much. More than likely you will enjoy your new school although it will take time to adjust. Be confident. Your new school believes in you since they have given you a job. Do your best and be positive and enjoy the summer break.

3. Thanks, I keep waive ring between thinking that I must be good enough because they have employed me, to 'they've made a big mistake and I don't know anything!' I know part of that is because my confidence was knocked in my current job when they didn't offer me a permanent post.

4. CaptainDJ

CaptainDJ New commenter

This is normal! I changed jobs last September after 12 years in the same school I was dreading leaving the familiar faces. But people were very kind and I soon made new friends. You are good enough and I hope your new employer builds your confidence back up. A bit of healthy worrying is good, but try to not be overwhelmed by it. Good luck!

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It's fear of the new and everyone who has ever changed jobs goes through exactly the same feelings. There are any number of reasons why you weren't made permanent but it won't be because they didn't value you. You'll spend your first year trying to adapt and many's the time that you'll hanker after your old school - your comfort zone. Rest assured that everything will fall into place and you'll soon become part of the furniture. Congratulations on your new post. How exciting!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Have replied on the Primary forum, but yes it's completely normal.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's normal to worry about startign in a new workplace. They have faith in you. You've successfully worked in your current workplace - the fact that they took on someone else, just means they liked someone lese more than you. "Corporate" feel is not necessarily good or bad, depends who make up the corporation.

Good luck!

P