1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving on a little

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by karenth2274, Nov 27, 2015.

1. karenth2274

karenth2274 New commenter

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me? I am an English teacher in a state academy of 16 years and, after many indecisive years, am both beginning to love and flourish in my job. My query is where to go next?

I am a bog standard M6 teacher, aged 41, and am interested in joining some kind of fellowship, training or accredited organisation. In my school, we currently have teachers following the Princes Trust and Teaching Fellows but they appear to be under 30 and I wondered if there was an age limit on such programmes, particularly as, in my experience, the Prince's Trust tends to work closely within the youth jobs market? If so, what similar type of programme might you advise that I research? I genuinely do not know what is out there.

Many thanks

Karen Thompson

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there.

I am slightly in the dark here, I'm afraid, as I haven't quite understood your aim. You want to move on - how? Career wise that would be applying for 2 i/c of a department.

I'm also going to say that I don't know of any fellowships that are for English teachers. This does not mean that there aren't any, just that I don't know of them!

I am wondering if you could invest some time in researching university postgraduate courses. Part time ones. Both those available in local universities and via distance learning.

Your mention of the Prince's Trust suggests perhaps voluntary work. By the way - if you have a query in your mind about the age limit, either ask your colleagues or look it up online.

If you are thinking of voluntary work, then find out if there are any opportunities locally for teaching English to immigrants or refugees and their families. Or becoming involved in mentoring schemes for troubled youngsters. There is no age limit there - I did it till well in my 50s!

Best wishes

3. karenth2274

karenth2274 New commenter

Hi Theo,

Thank you for the reply. I agree that 2nd in department would be moving on. When I have been interviewed for these positions, I have been told I don't have the relevant training and then people with 'other' accreditations are successful. I guess I want those accreditations but genuinely don't know what is out there.

As a single mum, teaching full time and being actively involved with a local brass band, I genuinely don't have the time to volunteer. Princes Trust offer some training for teachers.