1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving local authority and pay day different - help needed!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by glmay, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi

My local authority pays me on the 15th of every month and I will be starting teaching in another authority in January whose pay day is 26th of the month. Will I have to go without pay for 6 weeks over christmas and new year? What happens????

Thank you

2. Hi

My local authority pays me on the 15th of every month and I will be starting teaching in another authority in January whose pay day is 26th of the month. Will I have to go without pay for 6 weeks over christmas and new year? What happens????

Thank you

3. Yes you will go 6 weeks. Your current authority pays two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance whereas your new authority pays at the end of the month. Just unlucky I guess, but great for someone going the othervway.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You could ask your new LA for an advance of pay earlier in the month. I'd advise asking for less than half the expected monthly take home pay though, as you need to get sorted eventually with the new pay schedule.
    To manage the changeover you might want to make full use of any free overdraft facility and you could also take out a credit card that gives 6 or 9 months at 0% interest on purchases. Go up to the limit and just pay the minimum each month, gradually building up savings (with interest) to settle the bill when the interest-free period expires. I currently have a Sainsbury's credit card with 0% for 6 months and I put £900 of spending on it quite quickly. I had the money to pay it off in full but put it in a savings account instead and just pay about £20 per month as the minimum payment. As soon as the repayment has been received at Sainsbury bank I spend another £20 on the card to take it back up to the limit. In April I'll withdraw the £900 from savings to settle the bill and will keep the interest earned.