1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving LO to her own room and cot tonight-tips needed

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ilovetheweekend, Aug 15, 2011.

1. So LO is now 12 weeks old (6 wks corrected) and has just about outgrown her moses basket. Tonight I want to move her to her own room and her cot. Does anyone have any tips on making this move as smooth as possible. Our bedtoom is too small to put her cot in it, but her over protective daddy is thinking of getting a travel cot to put in our room as he likes to have her near him!
    I do bedtime feed at 8pm in her room and all night feeds in it so she is used to the room and she always goes in the cot when I run her bath. last night she fell asleep mid feed at 8pm and just could nt wake her so popped her in the cot and suddenly her eyes were wide open and she was awake. Is this a bad sign of things to come tonight?
    Thanks

2. So LO is now 12 weeks old (6 wks corrected) and has just about outgrown her moses basket. Tonight I want to move her to her own room and her cot. Does anyone have any tips on making this move as smooth as possible. Our bedtoom is too small to put her cot in it, but her over protective daddy is thinking of getting a travel cot to put in our room as he likes to have her near him!
    I do bedtime feed at 8pm in her room and all night feeds in it so she is used to the room and she always goes in the cot when I run her bath. last night she fell asleep mid feed at 8pm and just could nt wake her so popped her in the cot and suddenly her eyes were wide open and she was awake. Is this a bad sign of things to come tonight?
    Thanks

3. I'm not sure if this will help but for a couple of weeks prior to 'the move' I put the whole moses basket into the cot and let her sleep in the nursery that way. I then made her nap in her cot during the day and used the moses basket at night. When it came to putting her in to the cot at night, she was fine.
    If I'm honest, I think the napping there in the day is a good idea for a couple of days but each to their own. There's nothing stopping you from trying her straight into the cot tonight - you never know, she might be absolutely fine with it.
    If she does seem a little unsettled and wakes up immediately, maybe try the day thing for a couple of days before going back to the nights?
    Good luck either way!

4. 'the move' was worse for me than lo! try not to be anxious - your lo will sense it- - good luck

5. After last nights shananigans and 1am-4.45am funtime and constant chattering and piggy noises! I want her to move into her room, its her dad who is reluctant!
    She has just been asleep in her carrycot down stairs so read replies and thought i'd move her into her room now! Carried her upstairs and put her in her gro bag (tog 1 with baby grow on-is that ok??) and into her cot. As it was a spur of moment decision I did nt have a chance to set angel monitor up in the cot and in her room so am sat on landing as too scared to leave her without a monitor.

6. bless her xx have a good day iltw- i'm off to the childrens centre with my wide awake girly ! xx

7. feel like a bit of a weirdo sat on landing but I cant leave her. She's waking, ohh wonder what im in for when she realises 1) she is in her cot 2) she is in her room 3) she is in a gro bag!
    Enjoy the children's centre, x

8. We put our LO straight in her cot- cue the best night's sleep we'd had since she was born! I think she was about the same age- 12 weeks. Just settled really well. Hope yours was OK when she woke but it's probably a good idea to put her carrycot in there first so she can get used to the environment of her new room before having to get used to the cot too. For your info (sorry lack of paragraphs) room temp 24 degrees, short sleeved vest and 1 tog sleeping bag; room temp 22 degrees long sleeved vest and 1 tog bag; room temp 20 degrees, long sleeved vest and 2.5 tog bag or short sleeved vest, PJ top and 1 tog bag- this is the info I got with a Grobag. Have you a room thermometer? There are more room temps- let me know if you want me to type them- I am assuming your room is pretty warm at the mo!

9. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Hey,
    I moved my little one around the same time - she was kicking around in the moses basket for about a week so I'd had enough! I did invest in preparation time though. I knew it was coming so had been putting her up the for her afternoon nap for about 2 weeks beforehand and I put her in there awake, no moses basket so she could just look around and generally get used to the feel of her new bed. Initially she didn't fall asleep every time but after a few days she'd drop off in the afternoon for about an hour - cue blessed relief! I always do her last feed downstairs, around 8.30 and make sure she goes to bed awake (but sometimes is too knackered to keep her eys open). Then I pop her in her sleeping bag, either me or hubby reads a bedtime story gradually dropping the lights as we have a dimmer switch, kiss her good night and then leave her to it. Sometimes we hear little movements but more often than not she drops off until 7 the next morning, where she will just gurgle and kick around in her gro bag til I'm ready to get her up. Maybe we're the exception but i really think the prep time and regular routine have really helped (touching wood right now).

Good luck and go for it!!!

10. wow, sounds brilliant. She slept ok last night, no better but no worse than when in our room. Still in moses basket and aim for cot next week. Did our first 11pm dream feed but not convinced on it. Uncertain whether to continue it.
    She is a really erratic sleeper and has no set routine for naps in the day, other than in the morning about 9-11. In afternoons I just keep my fingers crossed for sleep as it could happen anytime. She likes to fight it.So I have nt put her into her room today, how do I get through this?
    What happens with a routine if she takes a feed at a different time and it has a knock on effect for the day so today she did nt have her bedtime one until 9pm all because she slept in, so should I still do the dream feed?
    Feel like i dont have a clue what im doing.

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Official advice is 6 months, but most second time parents would say it's easier for baby and you to do what you're doing! If you want to keep her in your room, the travel cot your hub wants to buy will probably come in useful ventually, but if you do want her to move, she will get used to things soon. Buy a night light, put mobile etc in if you want to.

12. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Don't worry, I still don't feel like I know what I'm doing most days! I don't really go in for the whole routine thing really and LO has always found her own way but once I spot what shes doing we go with it for a while until she changes again. It throws me too when she gets up a but later and I wonder how we're gonna fit all the feeds in. Now I just try and work out how I'm spread the feeds out until bedtime and feed her at those times whether shes asking for it or not and generally she'll have it, it seems to make things worse if we push bedtime back as shes generally too tired to eat very much. She tends to average out what she has across the day - clever things these babies! As for dream feeding, i've no idea what that is (we bottle feed, boo hiss) and she dropped her 11 o clock feed a couple of months ago. If you're struggling to get her to have a nap in the afternoon try to perservere with putting her in he cot at around the same time every day (is there a time when she just drops off on her own?) and if nothing else you'll get half hour to yourself knowing shes at least safe in her cot getting to know her new surroundings. Much love!

13. Thanks everyone for your replies but I now need MORE help!
    Everynight we always do her bedtime feed in her room, and all nighttime ones as well. It seems she has got wise to this and for the past week as started crying as soon as we set foot in the room as she seems to know its sleep time. She wont nap in the cot during the day either. The whole bedtime feed is stressful for us all, she screams, cries, claws, her back goes straight and she is bright red and uncontrollable. Even if she is hungry she wont take her bottle or takes large sobbing gulps and gives herself wind. Why is this, what can I do? Its not colic as she is ok the rest of the night.
    Ive been up there today and had some play time in there and she was ok, in fact she feel asleep whilst we were playing although as soon as she was in the cot woke up!
    OH is up there doing the feed tonight as I just find it too stressful, and all I can hear is hysterical crying.

14. OH back downstairs, and apparently all she wanted was her dummy, not the bottle. We did start tonights feed 30mins early as she was acting sleepy.
    I really feel like ive no idea what im doing. Im a rubbish mum.

15. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

ILTW you are NOT a rubbish mum. We are all clueless no matter how many books we read, babies we know etc- your baby is unique and different from every other child ever born, so she won't follow the 'rules'. You are clearly a great mum as you want to help her. It's a case of finding a solution short-term, eg if a dummy helps use it. A lot of parenting is guesswork, I'm no expert as a mum of an 8 month old but we do what we can to get by and survive the tough bits. Sorry, will read your previous post and try to help x

16. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

OK it seems like the dummy is your friend at the moment, don;t be afraid of using it for settling. Some babies are v v sucky eg my LO. If you have a bedtime routine stick to it, old-fashioned advice but it has worked well for us. At 11 weeks I think I moved her bedtime from 9pm to 7pm so that I could have an 'evening' and moved back to the main bedroom, at this stage LO wa swaking at 5pm for a feed and I fed her in the chair in her nursery, changed nappy and put her straight back down, then she slept another couple of hours before 'morning' when we would get up properly. I always did my night feeds in dim light with no talking etc and my baby girl soon learned night from day. Don't panic, you're doing great.

17. :-( The dummy keeps falling out, cue hysterical crying. It really is the only thing that will sooth her and give us a little bit of peace.
    We do all the night feeds in her room, no lights, no talking, no eye contact and only change her nappy if necessary.Its just this bedtime one that turns her into crazy baby.