1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving jobs and changing pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jnafdif, Dec 28, 2015.

1. jnafdif

jnafdif New commenter

After 12 years I have left the school I have taught at and moving onto a new position in a different school next week which is an academy. I decided to move on from my last school as I need to see how teaching is in a different school as I have experienced some negative experiences within my last school over the last 3 years, mainly down to being part time and the expectations expected of me from management due to a new head teacher, lack of support, resources etc. I left the school I was at on UPS2 and I accepted a new job which will be paid on MS6. I had a discussion with my new Head that I would agree to be on MS6 hopefully to see teaching in a different and positive way as I still enjoy teaching. Since the holidays have begun I have had more time to think and wondering now what the implications of this will be, I am wondering how easy it would be to be back on UPS2 in the current climate and whether I should get prove that this was the pay scale I was on, for the future and what I would need to do to get to UPS1. In another light I am trying to think positive as my new job is part time mornings only which will be a positive for my family, enabling me more time with my own children, I will be teaching a much smaller number of children so less marking and when I have visited my new school I have had positive vibes and everyone seems friendly. On another side I will still have the planning and all the classroom jobs to do but being paid less for it. I am not sure I have done the right thing and it is now too late as I have agreed to this. I would appreciate any advice/words that anyone could give me about my situation. I have been unhappy in my last school for a long time, finding a new part time position has been difficult due to the lack of part time jobs advertised where I live and most are paid on MS. I knew I would have to compromise on something but now not sure this is the right compromise now.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

New year, new job in a new school - this could be very positive!

Getting back to UPS will depend entirely on the Pay Policy of your new school. You need to get a copy of it to see. The Business manager may have one, but look first in the Staff handbook.

Actually, no, you needn't bother getting this proof. Because what pay level you used to be on is immaterial now. Your school's Pay Policy - or that of any new school that you move to - will determine how you move, not what your former pay level was.

A job like that is Gold, PURE GOLD! You are very lucky - many people will envy you!

Sounds excellent!

I'm not sure it is a compromise, because a compromise suggests that you have a choice. As there is nowadays no Pay Portability, you were never guaranteed to be paid UPS2 in any new job.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

It sounds to me just like a pretty normal case of slight second thoughts, always common just before starting a new job! From what you say, you have landed on your feet and are lucky to have a job in a positive atmosphere with pleasant colleagues and fitting so well into your family life.

Best wishes for 2016

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Congratulations on your new job! Excellent advice as usual from TheoGriff. I was once top of the scale (UPS3), but have been on M3 (yes, seriously!), M6 and UPS1 when changing jobs. As Theo states, there is no longer pay portability, so I just accept whatever the school is willing to pay me, and I am very grateful to have a job!