1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into Year 2 - best piece of advice...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrst1985, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I am going to be moving into Year 2 after the Easter Holidays. I haven't got any experience of teaching in Year 2, so would really appreciate any advice and information that you could give me.
    Thanks in advance.

2. I am going to be moving into Year 2 after the Easter Holidays. I haven't got any experience of teaching in Year 2, so would really appreciate any advice and information that you could give me.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Children in Year 2 are very capable and love jobs, so set up a weekly job rota and they will be chomping at the bit to take a turn! Enjoy their enthusiasm and sense of fun. They are old enough to work independently, but young enough to be really keen. Have some good action songs as they love these. Mine love picture books and chapter books, so I read a combination. They love puppets. I have two puppets that they take turns to take home and write about what they got up to. I also have a monster puppet to use in the classroom. Do lots of practical activities and drama. Listen to their ideas and encourage them to do independent research to find out the answer. Fit a role play area in the classroom and give then challenges to do when using it. Involve them in creating things like the role play area and how it could best be used etc.