1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by AcreWood100, May 18, 2019.

1. AcreWood100

AcreWood100 New commenter

I am going wondering about moving areas but I don’t have a job yet - I love my school but we can’t really afford to stay in the area (already commuting nearly an hour each way and our rented house isn’t amazing)...

I can’t decide what to do and feel like I’m letting my career down if we move and I have no job - I’ve wondered about supply but I miss having my own class while I’ve been completing PPA cover. Looking for part time positions as also have our family to look after.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

If you are at all dependent on a regular income do not leave a permanent job to do Supply Work.

Think about whether you can afford a huge pay cut (unless you’re an NQT) and all the uncertainty that goes with Supply.

I earn about £23,000 a year but that is on a good rate and I accept long term positions. It took me a few years to get established.

I think I averaged £1000 a year for the first 2-3 years....

£110 a day is fairly typical. Some people are really unlucky and get less than that. In primary you have to mark all work before you leave on day to day. Even if you work all 195 days (unlikely) that is £21,400.

And, I have just left a long term role due to stress...So, probably no income until October now.

Good luck.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Just reread your post.

As an alternative to part-time work would you consider being a Cover Supervisor? You have certainty, back up within school, can leave at 3.30pm every day. Wage about £12,000, I think, but assuming no planning or marking.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Also, with family, forget teaching as a career. Unless you’re prepared to put your family second. If you get a part-time position start looking for alternatives outside teaching and plan/retrain for a permanent move.

Sorry if that sounds negative. Take it from me, a career break is not seen as a positive in a teaching career...

Not that I’m bitter,or anything,....

(Well, maybe a bit...)

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Try to avoid supply teaching if you can and look either for part time teaching posts or as Deirds suggests something outside teaching. Supply work can be stressful and the pay isnt good dor all the reasons Deirds states.

In some areas there are shortages of nursey places. Have you ever thought about starting a nursery/ pre school? It would take planning and research but it is a thought.

6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Supply teaching is a precarious way of earning a living. If you have a permanent job stick with it and apply for permanent jobs in the area you want to move to. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's really hard to put down in words what supply teaching can be like.

All I will say is that for someone who works full time and is used to getting up and going to the same school every day it can be a very different experience.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've had many long-term posts but even with those, I never earned anything like £23,000- my best was £16,0000 and many years were below £4,000 if I didn't manage a long-term position.
    So I agree if you need a regular income don't touch supply.

This was also my experience. Between children I was on supply and then when my youngest was old enough for me to consider returning, I found my supply counted against me. I was considered ' 'experienced and expensive' but not as 'in-touch' with the latest initiatives and drives and the longer I was on supply the more it was perceived, "Well she can't be much good if she hasn't got a job by now."

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My year on supply - I worked two full terms and about half of the other one

I made about £15000

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  10. supply287

supply287 New commenter

There is a great contrast in supply 15 years ago and supply today. I estimate that I earned about £25,000 about 12 years ago, being paid day-to-day to basic teacher salary. Recently it would be very hard to crack £20,000 even if you really went for it. I am aware of £190 plus a day for some but I'm estimating in general, in an enjoying the work most of the time sort of way. Try to use supply ,if you can, rather than being used by it.

agathamorse and peakster like this.
  11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm one of the supply (or possibly the only one) success stories. I've managed to get around £195 per day or higher for the last two years which equates to around £25K take home p.a. This is not just down to my brilliance as a Maths/Science long-term supply in West Yorkshire but also because I will hang around in the bottom-end schools.

Of course this is down to luck and haggling strongly while the luck lasts. I agree with the posters above that any permanent job is better than supply and I'll be surprised if my luck lasts long enough to prove me wrong.

12. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Just to clarify - I feel I have been really lucky the last couple of years. I’ve done very long term in a Special school in various roles. The last few months have been less good. I was quoting gross salary figures not take home pay. And remember, I did say I averaged about £1000 a year for a couple of years...

But I think long term,while better paid, has its own problems....

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I gave up UPS & TLR to do supply after some particularly bad experiences making me ill.

If you are prepared to significantly change your lifestyle and expenditure, say yes to anything (within reason-I was on day-to-day and said yes to anything up to thirty miles away) and be positive about the days when work doesn’t come in, it is do-able.

I’ve often noted how much I enjoyed it, despite earning around M2-3 equivalent at most. It proved to me what a good teacher I was, meeting many challenges. I enjoyed the variety and not having full responsibility. Though I ended up in a longer term assignment and worked near enough full-time anyway, the financial uncertainty was what made me get a permanent job again.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Me too - my experiences were very similar

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

12K as a cover superviser in 2019! Words fail me.

pepper5, FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  16. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

£195 a day sounds a lot. £25K p.a does not.

17. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

There is nothing quite like being on daily supply, waiting for phone calls in the morning. Or hoping to fill in days/weeks around pre-booked. Just like buses, it's all or nothing. Longer term supply can be good, but you have to be constantly alert and assertive about what you will or won't do for the money, because it's rare to get paid to scale if you're very experienced. You will be badgered relentlessly by agencies when they want you and get the silent treatment when they don't. Some schools and children will appreciate and adore you, others will treat you like rubbish. You can turn down or walk away from horrible jobs but not too often. You will need to budget for your own holiday pay, for up to 13 weeks depending on what else you do, and no, the holiday pay provided doesn't cover that. Short term sick leave will be unpaid. On long term supply you will only get SSP for longer absences. Your pension will be an auto enrol job you wouldn't choose over TPS, and is complicated by working for multiple agencies. If what you want is permanent, hold out for it, as, as other posters wisely say, it's easier to get a job when you already have one.

18. AcreWood100

Thank you for all your replies - I’m still not sure about supply at all. Or teaching now (I’m doing cover in my own school at the moment).

After having a baby returning and not having my own class - I now wonder if supply would be an even worse choice. All I’m seeing for part-time are fixed term contracts.

Due to wanting to move I’ll be out of work in September - with no clear ideas of what to do. After childcare I bring in a couple of hundred pounds a month - not enough for rent or bills.

Being in school and covering PPA hasn’t been much fun, I feel I’m not part of anything anymore and again feel this might be similar to how I’d feel in a supply role?

19. AcreWood100

Thanks for this - this is exactly my concern after starting our family.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which is exactly why my d-Ii-l decided to quit, as she wouldn't have earned enough to pay for the child care. She's decided to have 2 closer in age and then go back as soon as the older one qualifies for nursery and 'just cope' in the interim. She's not even certain she'll return to education, because as you point out p't isn't easy to find and it is no longer as child-friendly a job as i used to be.:(
    It's tough for young Mums.:(

agathamorse likes this.