1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into Secondary from a FE College?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by adamh1, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hi Folks
    I was just after a bit of advice.
    I have been teaching in a FE college for 5yrs and have undertaken my PGCE to teach in a college. This course means i have QTLS
    I have been considering moving to work within a Secondary/11-18 school, perhaps as a sixth form tutor (though i would need QTS).
    I understand there may be some form of additonal training that can enable me to achieve a QTS. does anyone know how this system works or what i can do? i dont fancy having to leave my job to do a full 1yr secondary pgce.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Hi Folks
    I was just after a bit of advice.
    I have been teaching in a FE college for 5yrs and have undertaken my PGCE to teach in a college. This course means i have QTLS
    I have been considering moving to work within a Secondary/11-18 school, perhaps as a sixth form tutor (though i would need QTS).
    I understand there may be some form of additonal training that can enable me to achieve a QTS. does anyone know how this system works or what i can do? i dont fancy having to leave my job to do a full 1yr secondary pgce.
    Any help would be appreciated.

3. No it doesn't, it means you have an FE teaching qualification.

4. er, ok. to be honest i dont know. i did my PGCE with Huddersfield Uni but it was specific to post 16.
    I was after some helpfull advice.[​IMG]

5. I'm afraid lots of people have asked this question before, and there is no good answer.
    It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to move from FE to schools, unless you are willing to work and be paid as unqualified.
    My advice is to find out exactly what qualifications you already have.
    And if you have never taught in a school I'd suggest you do some volunteer teaching before you go much further along this route.

6. Teaching is a school, even a good school, is very different if you're used to FE. If you've never trained or taught in a school it can be a shock, and a very unpleasant shock too.
    I trained to teach secondary and did teaching practice in a comprehensive school but then worked in FE. After some years I moved to a school and found it much harder and much more draining than FE. I agree with the poster who suggested voluntary work in a school before you decide to give up your FE job.

7. Im doing my Post 16 PGCE at Hudds at the moment!
    I know some one who successfully made the swap from teaching FE English to Secondary English. They achieved QTS by doing a GTP, so they were paid for working full time whilst they trained.
    Hope that helps.
    I still get emails from Doncaster GTP, so I know they're accepting applicattions at the mo, but they can't actually offer any firm places until the gov release this years funding as they don't know how many places their going to have.

8. My innital reaction to your post was 'why!?' First thing to do is visit a few local schools, do this before you start thinking about retraining. The whole experience is entirely different, and I mean entirely. You will know very quickly if this is the right move for you when you have spent a day or two in schools with or without a sixth form. It is NOTHING like an FE college. (I transfered in the other direction a few years ago, and am finally beginning to feel human again.) Good luck, and if you do decide to move toward the 11-16 route, hold on to your hat!

9. I am so disillusioned about prospects for secure employment in FE and Adult Education that despite recently going through the IFL professional formation rigmarole to achieve QTLS, I am considering re-training and moving into the primary sector. Does anyone have any advice on this or know anyone who has done so?

10. hi there,
    QTLS can only be attained through an application process via the IfL and this is essential if you want to continue teaching in FE. There are some fast track processes to QTS however they are vague and you will still need your QTLS to get on them. Check Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA) website for more details. Some schools especially 6th form schools may take you and ask you to work towards a QTS.

11. Jason
    I do know someone who decided to change form FE to primary. She said that she hated FE but, loves working in primary.
    FE is a no brainer, you have to know someone who knows someone or you face has to fit. Unlike the public sector, money changes hands in FE.
    Oh don't forget if you have PCET they don't want to pay you the going rate.In fact, that's the last thing they want to do. I know of one or two providers who hire people that know no different other than min wage, and advertise working tax credits to subsidize wages. Shocking !
    Try alternatives such as online tutoring. Think outside of the box.

12. Sorry, debity??? Really?? I know you are wrong!
    As they don't get paid the same per student as schools do! So even if you have QTS you won't get school salary!! FE is not funded the same way as schools so how can it pay the same salaries??
    Show me!! I simply do not believe that! Unless of course you are talking about cleaners!!

Jason. As one who does not have QTS and would never wish to work in a school allow me to give you some real advice, advice with no axe to grind - read ps09lh's thread carefully and take her advice!

13. Pobble, don't waste your energy on this person (debity)!
    As the following post demonstrates, this person is speaking from the following viewpoint:
    "I've never worked in an FE college before but recently been , asked to go for an interview.."
    This was posted on the following thread:
    <h1>Forums / FE<font size="5" color="#4f4d45"> / </font>FE - General</h1>Last post 16/12/10 at 17:30 by debity, 11 repliesPost started by debity on 13/12/10 at 12:25"I do find that experienced tutors look down their nose at less expereinced. Yes you might well of been working in an FE college for years but, take heart support each other for gods sake.

The person who instigated this post may well be a very very good teacher he/she needs a chance to show that fgs. Stop bullyiing them online!!!"

Posted on the can I teach in FE thread on the FE fora on 13/12/2010 at <font color="#00a560">12:45</font>
    If so, I want you to think very carefully about what you're suggesting:
    1. "I do know someone who decided to change form FE to primary. She said that she hated FE but, loves working in primary."
    Why didn't your acquaintance start off in Primary if she loved it so much? It would have avoided a lot of unecessary hassle in training for post 16 and retraining for primary.
    2. "FE is a no brainer, you have to know someone who knows someone or you face has to fit. Unlike the public sector, money changes hands in FE."
    Why are you asking for help in getting a job in FE if that's what you believe? Why ask for help on this if you already know how the selection and recruitment policy works!
    By the way, this is NOT true! If it were, we wouldn't need an FE forum on here because all FE teachers would be raking it in and spending our holidays in the Bahamas!
    3. "Oh don't forget if you have PCET they don't want to pay you the going rate.In fact, that's the last thing they want to do."
    Wrong again! In fact, you get paid more if you have a teaching qualification!
    I know of one or two providers who hire people that know no different other than min wage, and advertise working tax credits to subsidize wages. Shocking !
    Really? You know an awful lot about this for someone who has never worked in FE before and has no idea what to expect in an FE interview! If you're so certain about this, why do you need help in getting a job in FE? Why would you want to, for that matter, given the fact that you would have to work with corrupt criminals and bullies? I also find it ironic that you feel this way about us, yet are asking us to help you get a job in the sector?
    For the record, to TES users in this thread:
    1. Not all experienced FE teachers look down their noses at newbies! I, for one, am curently mentoring someone doing a PGCE (post-compulsory) course and am honoured to do so, as she is injecting a welcome new spark to my current teaching! I am also honoured to watch her grow in confidence and experience and hope that I can help her to be the best teacher that she can be!
    2. I can confirm that I have a PGCE (PC) and have always received the going rate of pay for this! It is true that this is lower for some colleges than others BUT it is always a higher rate of pay than that awared to colleagues without a teaching qualification!
    3. None of the colleges that I've worked in (and I have worked in several in the London and Home counties area) have ever employed teaching staff on the minimum wage! I think that you must be confusing us with cover supervisors, debity. FE colleges don't employ cover supervisors. They have associate lecturers and even these earn a lot more than the minimum wage.
    4. I have always got my jobs in FE on merit rather than through nepotism and many of my colleges and fellow applicants have said the same thing (and I've attended many interviews since entering the teaching profession).
    5. Money does NOT change hands in FE! If this were the case, our wages would be a lot higher and there would be no need for FE fora for the reasons I stated earlier. Furthermore, we wouldn't be experiencing the ridiculous number of cuts to our services, such as cutting adult funding, scrapping EMA, scrapping adult courses etc.
    6. Some of what you've written in your post, debity, could be viewed as defamatory. If I see it again, I will report it to the TES admin team, unless you can provide us with real facts and statistics to support your claims. So far, you've failed to do this!
    Jason-the only way to convert is to do a secondary teaching qualification of some kind, such as the GTP. My advice to you is to contact the primary schools that you're interested in, explain what your current qualifications and experience are and ask their advice. It's the only way, ou will REALLY know! Do NOT act on hearsay and half truths!
    Good luck!

14. Hi guys i am just wondering i am currently teaching in an FE college so not on the main pay scale for teachers. After 3 years at my FE college i will be at the top of my pay scale and there is not much room for further development. If i was to move jobs to a Sixth form college as i hold QTS what M point would i have to start on?
    Somebody told me if you go from an FE college to a sixth form you have to start on M1 at the sixth form regardless of what wage you were on before?? is this correct? any help greatly appreciated!!

15. It depends on the college, I think.

16. I'm glad someone else spotted debity's inconsistencies. For a person who has never worked in FE he/she seems strangely au fait with what is happening. This is sounding warning bells.