1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into leadership

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by twigtwig, Jan 22, 2020.

1. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Hello everyone.

So after 15 years of teaching (ME, UK, USA) i'm thinking about looking at assistant head or deputy head roles for my next post. I've been a successful head of department 3 times and had various other roles in school like mentoring and professional development roles but i was looking for some advice when applying to leadership positions. Shall i just jump in and start applying (i'm in the ME and will stay in this part of the world) are there any dos and don'ts when applying for these types of roles?

Cheers!

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

As you acknowledge, being a successful HoD does not in itself prepare you for the next step. You could begin by considering what kind of senior manager you want to be and what kind of school you want to be in. Back in the day I wasted a lot of time and energy on scattergun random applications without seriously considering the information supplied by the target schools. Eventually I received a profile which made Mrs M exclaim 'M this is YOU'. It was.

3. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Wholeheartedly agree with Captain MW, you've got to work out what type of Leader you want to be, and in what type of school. "Values identification" is the type of edu-speak around this process. You've got to be able to articulate those values to others, persuade others of their value, and know how to put them in place.
    I fell into SLT as a HoD because I was developing a learning personalisation programme in my Dept, "can you help the other HoDs to do this ?", "you'd better start coming to SLT to let us know how you're doing". The next year, I was AP Curriculum, and on from there. At the time I didn't want to to be in SLT, I just wanted to see if we could improve the learning and teaching in my Dept. 19 years later I'm still trying to do that (just many schools & countries later).

4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Good advice from the two previous posters - Good Luck!

5. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

But first make REALLY sure you want to move into administration. I’ve known some really brilliant classroom teachers who made the move and hated it. They stuck it out for a few years and then moved back to the classroom, sadder and wiser...