1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into Further Education Teaching

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ic21, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ic21

ic21 New commenter

Hello folks!

I've been teaching for eight years in a school. I have taught both secondary and primary as a supply teacher during this time.

I have a BA (Hons). 2.i in a humanities based subject and a PGCE.

I'm looking to move into FE teaching from school teaching.

I have a little bit of experience of FE teaching through community based teaching. (Level 1 humanities short-courses to adult learners through a local college).

What would be the best way in becoming a full-time FE teacher?

There are not many Humanities teaching jobs in FE, so should I consider a 'new' subject. Im really interested in media and business based subjects. I have some experience in the media industry too. Would I need a higher degree in this 'new' subject?

Really hope that some FE teachers can help me out with some good advice.

Thanks all !

Ian

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

@ic21 I would just apply for jobs you see advertised. If you can teach and show you know enough about the subject then there shouldn't be a problem. Around where I am, colleges often struggle to recruit. I guess you are aware of the differences around pay and holiday to schools though?