1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving into a new school building

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Garlick24, Jul 17, 2012.

1. We are due to move into a new school building after October half term and I am looking for advice on things we need to tthink about when the children start back-re/ duty points for staff, tours for students,signage etc-can anyone give me any advice or a hints and tips listwho has been through the process? Thanks.

2. We are due to move into a new school building after October half term and I am looking for advice on things we need to tthink about when the children start back-re/ duty points for staff, tours for students,signage etc-can anyone give me any advice or a hints and tips listwho has been through the process? Thanks.

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

We were lucky in that the new school was built in two halves. Students got used to the first phase, which had been built on the field, then the second half seemed very easy to get used to.
    We have separate 'pods' rather than one building. Students had a map and list in their planners of which subjects are taught in each pod, which helped.
    We had extended registration on the first morning and times for each House to take their tutor groups on a quick 10 minute tour. Getting them to their tutor rooms in the first place needs some thought! Each year group met in a main venue (Hall, Gym....) and the tutors guided them to their room.
    I think a video could work well perhaps, where someone walks round the school site, videoing as they go and does a voice over pointing out the main routes/ parts...etc. All tutors could play this from the shared computer area on the first morning? It depends how much information/ one way systems etc you have and need to communicate.
    As for duties.... staff were dotted around in what we thought were strategic positions (by toilets etc)and most were fine, but you soon get to know the hot-spots and move a few! Likewise at certain times of the day we find the traffic in particular corridors gets very heavy so have to use LG to help keep the flow moving!

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I am in a primary school that is in the middle of a phased move.Make sure you have a fire evacuation plan and have a practice fairly early on in the new term so all know the new regime.