1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving into a leadership role.

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by superewok, Mar 15, 2016.

1. superewok

superewok New commenter

Hi all,

I have posted this in Career Clinic too so apologies of you see this more than once. Just after some thoughts or advice about my situation. Thanks in advance.

I have seven years teaching experience (4 as a core subject leader) in a range of schools - RI to Outstanding, in Years 4 - 6. My most recent position, which I held for two years, was as Maths Leader and Year 6 Team Leader at a two form entry school. My headteacher was superb - allowing me to implement new ideas in my core subject, lead initiatives across the school, develop teaching assistants CPD and develop personally and professionally. I was able to attend management courses as well as core subject courses. I was also responsible for developing a new curriculum for Year 6 and more specifically developing opportunities for more able learners. I feel like I have strong middle leader experience and have achieved a great deal in terms of data/children's standards in the school, etc.

I resigned at the end of the last academic year to focus on Maths teaching which is a real passion of mine. It was a big leap but I went self employed. Since September, I have been doing regular part-time supply (which has been a real eye opener and enjoyable) as well as working part time with another local RI school, helping develop their maths pedagogy and leading intervention/booster sessions with their underperforming Year 6 children. They have labelled this as a freelance maths consultant role (I think this is over egging the pudding a bit!) I also tutor 1:1. I have enjoyed this immensely. However, I actually miss being part of a school full time and I'm keen to look for position for September 2016.

I still enjoy teaching, and would be keen to maintain a part time teaching commitment, but feel I am ready for deputy headship (or assistant headship). I have loved leading Maths but I'm keen to broaden my scope.

Would being out of a full time position this academic year put me at a huge disadvantage? Is competition rife? I know there are some areas of the country where shortages are present. I am pretty flexible about where I move. My partner is self employed (not a teacher!) and can be anywhere for work!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.