1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving immediatey to Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Emeritusbc, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Hey I've had a good look through the forums and I would just like some advice on my situation I do apologise if I'm repeating some previously asked questions.

Ive gotten a job in a very large school in Doha to start immediately this week. As I'm going in October I'm very concerned that I wont get my documents processed in time for me to come home for Christmas to see my family. From what I've read I believe I need my full visa and residency documents in order to come back? Is this true or do I need something else as well?

Also if I was to go and absolutely hate it, and not settle, what are the chances of leaving? Slim to none until I get my documents processed? Saying this, I'm going to give it a proper go and try to settle well I just like to prepare for the worst case scenarios!

2. WillD

WillD New commenter

If its named after the discoverer of gravity, give it a huge dodge.

3. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Its not named after the discoverer of gravity, its named something super simple really. Its a very large school! I dont know if academies abroad are anything like academies in england, i hope not.

I've found very little information from teachers who've taught in this school which I found strange as its so large.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Your passport will be with the school/government while your visa is being processed, so little chance of slipping away. That said, 3 things to settle your mind. 1. If it's the school I think, it's better than most and a good place to land. 2. In a true emergency, they can get your passport back quickly so you can get home. It just means the visa process will have to restart all over when you return. 3. There's a really good chance you'll have the visa in time for Christmas. Not in time to book bargain tickets, but soon enough to get home.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

had you considered applying for a second passport?

6. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hi,
    That salary is really low, how many years have you been teaching?

You shouldn't be able to work without your RP, be careful.

Send me a DM if you wish

7. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

I've been teaching for 2 years but the pay is inclusive of a single apartment and bills, medical etc.
    I was unaware you could have a second passport.

I am very concerned I'm going to leave this week and be unable to come back home to see my loved ones until March or something.

8. gulfgolf

You should be fine. Visas take as long as they take, but 6 weeks is typical, leaving you ample room. Unless you have an untypical situation (like a passport from a country Qatar doesn't get along with, or you're bringing along an adopted child), there's no reason for a delay.
    You can't get a second passport unless you have citizenship in a second country. Or you lie and claim your passport is missing, in which case your first passport will be automatically cancelled and sirens will sound when they run it through the computer at immigration.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, the RP process can take a LONG time and if you ask them to give your passport back to you before the whole thing is completed, then you will be srarting again at the beginning. Going back to the UK for Christmas is a bad idea because it costs a lot of money and December in Qatar means pleasant weather.

10. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Is it as simple as A KISs?
    Is it the gas school located north of Doha? Very large and not actually in Doha - it's approx 45 km north of the capital!

3 bits of advice:
    1. Avoid
    2. Avoid
    3. Avoid

Alice K likes this.
  11. dumbbells66

Oh i can fully attest to the fact that you can. there are a number of teachers where i am that have them. i applied last year but got my visa back in time so cancelled the application. in fact there are a number of companies set up to go through the whole process for you if you cant be bothered to do it yourself.

you just have to have a valid reason to have a second passport. i am not sure if "i want to go home at Christmas because i miss my mummy" is one though :p

12. gulfgolf

What's a valid reason? I'm having trouble envisioning why one person would legitimately need two U.K. passports. Interesting question.

13. dumbbells66

if you know that your original will be excessively held for visa reasons and you need to continue to travel for business purposes (this is the one that i used).

travelling between countries that have bad relationships with each other, and having a visa from one might block access to that country. there are a few countries in the middle east that this applies to.

there are other "valid" reasons, but i cant think of them off the top of my head right now.

14. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

15. gulfgolf

Learn something new every day! Thanks.
    Getting a school to write a letter on headed paper would be unusual. And it's doubtful you'd be able to claim a requirement for frequent business travel. How to get around that?

16. dumbbells66

my school were very good about it and gave me a lot of help applying via the embassy here. but then we have genuine issues and actually would require getting a second passport. it's not like we just want to go back at "christmas to see the family". some people here in the past could not leave the country for upto 8 months because their passports were being held up.

you just have to give them a list of possible places you would be traveling to (overseas PD, your a workshop leader, school visit etc). you dont actually have to go, you just need a letter from the school saying that. i suspect its a lot easier getting a second passport outside of the UK, as you would be going through the embassy and they would know the difficulties in that particular country. but like i said, i doubt that "i miss my mummy" would be a valid reason :p

17. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

So am I correct in thinking I can return home to visit when I get my visa and then just begin the residency process again in January?

18. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

No I don't believe we are thinking of the same school if you message me I can give you the name.

19. gulfgolf

Doubtful that you can return home until the process is done. Interrupting it is just for emergencies, as it represents significant extra cost and work. Neither the school nor the government will be keen.
    But it's not going to come to that. You have ample time.

20. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

If you're waiting for your RP I think you can only go for emergencies. It all depends how quick your school sorts things. When you arrive your school will arrange for you to go get:

1. Blood taken and a chest x-ray (super fun experience ;))- The earlier you get there the better to avoid the queue.
    2. When that comes back (2 weeks) it's off to get your finger prints, palm prints, side of hand prints, basically your whole hand and retina scans.
    3. Then it's off to get your blood group tested (I had this done the same day as the prints).

So far this has been my experience, having moved here at the end of August (with Eid inbetween). Once everything is finalised, they send for the RP. I'm still waiting on mine.

For holidays I'm going to go home at the end of January as my school has a 'Mid-academic year break' of two weeks, compared to 5 days around Christmas time. Have you checked your new school's calendar? You might find that it's better to go at a different time and your RP may be ready by then.