1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bombaysapphire, Jun 13, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Does it always have to be this stressful?
    We are due to complete a week today. We still haven't exchanged and I couldn't get any commitment out of my solicitor today. She had to wait for the vendor's solicitor to call her back. I had to call 4 times to actually get to speak to her, apparently she didn't think it was worth calling me back.
    This has been relatively uncomplicated but I still feel wound up. Do these people not realise that it is pretty stressful to have your life in boxes and still not actually have any commitment made to buying/selling?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It is stressful, ghastly and expensive.
    I swear I'll never move again! I shall be leaving Belle Towers in a box!

3. in the general table of stress, it's a close third behind bereavement and divorce
    in process of moving my dad - eurgh

4. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

We are also due to complete a week today, still waiting on final searches to arrive. Not needing to move out straight away, but it's still stressful knowing nothing is set in stone until contracts exchanged..............[​IMG]

5. bombaysapphire

Aaarrgh - apparently there is a problem lower down the chain so we can't complete this coming Monday.
    I hate being disorganised but how can you get organised to hit a constantly moving target?[​IMG]
    Thinking of you Cestrian - I hope yours works out better than ours!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What awful news. I think disappointment is a hugely underated emotion - it really hurts. Look after yourself and try and stay calm. Keep us informed - I've got my fingers crossed for you. This is when a good estate agent, and there are a few around, can really earn their money - getting a stuck situation moving again.

7. Try a stiff drink! We have moved 7 times with a family, and also sold 3 houses we built ourselves that we never lived in.
    Contrary to one of the above, I don't believe a word estate agents say about deals - you are better of chasing up solicitors yourself, even if their secretaries tell you it's unethical ( it isn't).
    Then you'll really know, but you need to be pretty assertive. Otherwise keep humming.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It does definitely depend on the agent involved. I've twice been in situations where the estate agent has pointed out options that have moved things on - helping people decide to rent temporarily, pointing out the benefits of vendors dropping prices in order to get a deal through. I've also met some who are a waste of time and do nothing.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Sorry about that - I tried to edit because I'd missed out a capital letter and ended up making a mess.

10. bombaysapphire

I've had the same experience. Some estate agents are really helping at overseeing everything, it's in their interests to, they don't get paid until completion.
    Others have said "that's not my job". It might not be officially but they make an obscene amount of money out of the whole process. The 20% VAT on top isn't their fault but doesn't make me feel any better about it.
    Looks like we should be exchanging this Monday now and completing the next. At least that gives me a week of knowing exactly when we will be moving which will keep the control freak in my slightly happier.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm feeling a bit concerned reading this . . . . . are the 'missives' complete? Maybe Scots law is different, but it was my understanding that the deal could still fall through until the missives were completed? If am talking nonsense, please forgive, but regardless, it seems the timescales are extremely tight for both of you. How horrible.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Fingers crossed!

13. bombaysapphire

I don't know anything about the Scots house-buying system apart from the fact that it is very different from ours in England.
    The deal can still fall through until exchange over here, which should now be happening for us on Monday. Now the move has been delayed I am planning to spend the whole weekend as pissed as possible to avoid thinking about the risk!

14. Are you saying that the Village Elders have allowed you to leave. I've heard that NO ONE ever leaves C alive...mwahh ha ha ha. :¬))

15. bombaysapphire

They're driving us out with burning torches Baubs. That's why the delay is so worrying!!

16. Lol...They filmed The Wicker Man on the playing fields.....it was a documentary.