1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving House- are you entitled to a day-out-of school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Blondie85, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Hi there, not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this on but....
    Im in my 2nd year of teaching and have just bought my first house, I read in a teacher's magazine that you are entitiled to a day out of school to move in and get yourself organised but am obviously a bit reluctant to do this without checking if I am actually 'allowed'.
    Any advice would be really appreciated xxx

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have had a day off both the times I've moved.
    You also don't have to take it on the actual moving day. You could, say, have the Friday off and move on the Saturday. Or move on the Saturday and have the Monday off.
    Other, cleverer, people will be able to tell you if it is LA based or countrywide though.

3. Hi,
    The best people to ask if you are 'entitled' would be your Union, I would think.
    I personally would move house in the holidays, and therefore not ask for time off. It depends how understanding your Head is. I've never known anyone have time off for this, it's more likely they would have time off for funerals and interviews etc.

4. Hi,
    The best people to ask if you are 'entitled' would be your Union, I would think.
    I personally would move house in the holidays, and therefore not ask for time off. It depends how understanding your Head is. I've never known anyone have time off for this, it's more likely they would have time off for funerals and interviews etc.

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Umm... you must be very lucky to have always been able to decide exactly when you are moving house then - especially if buying. Normally it just ends up happening when the solicitors feel like it!
    To the OP, I had a moving day off paid as have others in my school and friends in other schools too. It may just be an LA thing, not sure. Is there anyone at work you can trust you could ask? Others may have already had such days in your school.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've known a fair number have time off, so maybe it is LA based, not national. I only found out the first time because someone else was having a day off to move.
    I think it is something you are allowed, but they don't like to advertise sort of thing.

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm afraid that all these decisions are locally-made, that is, it is at the discretion of individual headteachers in accordance with each school's policy on such matters. If your school even had a policy.
    Most that do have one allow for one day's leave for moving - sometimes restricted to people who are buying rather than renting. The theory being that you only need to take time off then because you have to move on a day when a solicitoris able to carry out completion paperwork.
    In conclusion - you need to ask at your school.

8. Thankyou all very much for your helpful advice. Looks like I'll have to pluck up the courage and ask my (scary) Head. Thanks again x