1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving House - Am I allowed a day off?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mathmo, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Have to move house this Friday, was supposed to be the Easter holidays but these things never go as planned. I think I am entitled to a day off to move house but not sure what/who to ask for permission. Chair of Governors ? Or could I take it as dedicated Headship time (I haven't taken any all year). Then just work one day over the weekend.

Not quite sure what to do here ? Any advice?

Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You are, the same as any other staff member. I would put in and absence request to yourself... :p or the chair of govs :)

3. At my last school the HT refused to allow a colleague a day off for moving house.
    He contacted his union who explained that the HT was entirely with her rights to say no.
    They did say that things might be different in other authorities, but in Kent there is no 'entitlement' to a 'moving house day'.

4. Ask your head you should be entitled to a day off.

5. It is usually at the head's discretion. Check the school's own policy.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

It would appear that they are the Head [​IMG]
    If I were you, I would treat it as you would treat a member of staff making a request, bearing in mind the short notice. If you do anything else, you will be seen to be arbitrary.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Spam post reported

8. Oscar Wilde?