1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving half-way through NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon2047, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi,

I didn't want to read and run. I have just left after
    a tough term and am going elsewhere.

I am sure someone with much more experience will be along to offer some advice, but it sounds like you need some union advice.

Best of luck
    Jaime

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Apply for September jobs. You can resign at the end of May if you are successful. Meanwhile, get through the next term as best you can. I'm not sure why you would want union advice at this point but it would be a good idea to keep notes on what is said to you just in case there is a possibility of not making satisfactory progress. Of course, next term could be much better and September better still so hang in there, but keep looking for something else.

3. What is the etiquette with informing the school? I assume it would be bad form if a reference request materialised but at the same time informing them of a desire to leave before any hint of a new post could be catastrophic in terms of term two.

4. Hello, no need for the union unless things get sour towards the end, definitely not now. You can look for jobs starting in Sept and say you just want to find something permanent. You'll have to tell school that you're going for an interview if you get one, so you can request that the references don't get asked for until after the interview, so they'll know by then that they're coming and shouldn't be asked for references unless it's a job offer.

If it does get worse, there's an advice guide here that might be helpful: Ten Tips To Help You Get Another Teaching Job After A Bad Experience