1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving - Guarantors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bellacute, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Due to circumstances I need to move home. However, when looking to rent I am struggling to find someone who would meet the requirements of a guarantor as I don?t know anyone who has a full time job and owns their own house. However, I know people that have one or the other. So far I have spoken to a few landlords asking about rooms (I?m a student) and even when I offered to put more of a deposit down on a room they have said without a guarantor they will not take me. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do? In 4 weeks? time I will be homeless.

2. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Due to circumstances I need to move home. However, when looking to rent I am struggling to find someone who would meet the requirements of a guarantor as I don?t know anyone who has a full time job and owns their own house. However, I know people that have one or the other. So far I have spoken to a few landlords asking about rooms (I?m a student) and even when I offered to put more of a deposit down on a room they have said without a guarantor they will not take me. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do? In 4 weeks? time I will be homeless.

3. When I was renting, they didnt need a guarantor if they had previous references etc - I only needed one when I was a student.
    It might be worth ringing a few estate agents and asking whether a guarantor is ALWAYS required. Though things may have changed in the last few years.
    Its always struck me as a bl00dy stupid way to secure rental arrangements - how is it someone elses responsibility if I dont pay my rent!? Fortunately I always had my parents who were happy to be my guarantor.
    Not much help im afraid just wanted to sympathise.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Are you, perhaps, interpreting 'owns their own house' to mean that it is owned outright? Generally speaking it just means that they have a mortgage/are not in rented accommodation. I'd be surprised if you didn't know anyone who works full time and doesn't live in rented accommodation/is paying a mortgage. Get back on the phone and ask for clarification of this point if that's your problem.

5. I was thinking the same Seren, though if the OP is younger and does not have close family willing to do this it would be feasible - im 25 and only know one friend who owns their own home (mortgaged).

6. Are you only looking to rent through agencies? Most private landlords will not ask for a guarantor.

7. Thanks for all the replies. I do not know anyone who has a mortgage as the area i come from originally (where my parents live) there is a lot of rented property. My family all live in rented, apart from my granddad who doesn't have a job and hasn't had for almost 20 years. It is bl00dy unfair really - i am student so therefore must have a guarantor. I have spoke to 6 landlords with student property and one private all of which require a guarantor.

8. Agencies here usually take references from employers?

9. When I was at uni I used my mum and she only rented. Might be worth asking if this is ok?