1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Year 2 to Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tjh1052, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tjh1052

tjh1052 New commenter

Hi there
    I'm moving from Year 2 to Year 6 in September and wondered if anyone has any tips that would help me?
    Thanks in anticipation
    Tanya :))

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You've probably already done the following but I thought I'd post it anyway just in case you haven't.

Try to observe in a Year 6 class in action. This might help with getting an idea of standards of work etc. You could also have a chat with the current Year 6 teacher about the resources they use and what the pros and cons of teaching Year 6 are.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Y6 just now will be nothing like your new Y6 in September so don't worry yourself by looking at the current year group too hard. Our Y6s were usually awful by July. Look at the schemes of work and check you know and understand the content that you'll be covering in the first half term particularly. I was hopeless at Y6 maths - it gets amazingly hard. Obviously talk to the Y5 teacher to get broadly familiar with the individuals and should you walk past their room keep a frown on and look down your nose at them unless they are being particularly helpful, well behaved or obviously intelligent. Then give them an appreciative nod and murmur "Well done"

4. tjh1052

tjh1052 New commenter

Thank you both for your suggestions! Very much appreciated.

lindenlea likes this.
  5. optomistic1

optomistic1 New commenter

Get the current year 6 teacher to give you a year overview.. eg dates for applying for extra time for sats/ school shows /trips/cycling proficiency anything really!

6. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

Whilst I can understand your reasons for suggesting this, I'm not sure it's likely to be very popular with the current Y6 teacher - not really his/her job, and possibly very time consuming.

7. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

Gosh - really? I thought sort of collaboration was a strength of primary schools.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree completely...think it's probably the most useful thing they can give you.
    The class themselves will be unique, so not much help they can give you there. Maybe some ideas for great websites for worksheets or ideas, that kind of thing.

It is their job? Surely? I'd expect them to be happy to help in this way and would do exactly this for another member of staff. I did more or less this for the incoming year 3 teacher when I moved out last summer.

1 person likes this.
  9. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

As a School Business Manager, I'd expect this to be an admin office task rather than taking up a teacher's time - but that presupposes a central diary, as in our school, which not all schools might operate. I was coming at it from a 'reducing teacher workload' perspective!

lardylady likes this.
  10. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I see what you mean, Admin Princess. But hopefully the advice can be more than the list of dates but of the order - 'this is a critical deadline and you need to really prepare'; 'don't get too many parents involved in cycling proficiency'-type.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

As the outgoing teacher I would know which dates actually matter and which dates can pass by without the teacher having to notice. Which ones they will be reminded about and which not. A diary in the office is no substitute for staff collaboration. Admin staff don't have the understanding of how much notice or not teachers need for various things. And, of course, teachers can add the details as @Lucy2711 has said.

Reducing teacher workload is one thing. Causing hassle and stress by taking away useful tasks is another.