1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Year 1 to Year 4 - scared and excited!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lukesmum, May 10, 2011.

1. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

I have been asked to move into Year 4 in September, my experience is in Early Years and for the last three years in Year 1. I am very excited about this new challenge and looking forward to it. I can't wait to get in the classroom and put my stamp on it.
    Do you have any words of wisdom for someone with no KS2 experience?

Thanks,
    Lukesmum

2. I moved from Y1 to Y4 a few years ago and loved it! Much more scope for doing detailed topic work - they are at an age where they are capable of (and interested in) researching a topic at home, making their written work more personalised.

I knew from the start of the Summer term that I was moving, so arranged with the Y4 teacher to observe some of her lessons, talk through planning with her to get an idea of what to do in the first term, and swapped classes for a few lessons to give me some idea of what levels to expect - it also helped that I had worked with the class I would be having when they were in Y1, so I already knew the personalities and had an easier settling-in period.

Good luck - you will love it!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Stickers still work!

4. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Put aside significantly more time for marking.

5. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

Thank you for your messages!
    I had the class when they were in FS2 and took them with me into Year 1. They were a great bunch and I'm very much looking forward to working with them again.

I'm glad stickers still work.
    Do you ever sit your children on the carpet for stories/discussion? There's room for a carpet area, the classroom is very spacious.
    How about really "wow" ideas?
    My 8 year old has to do an "assembly" every half term. He presents something to the class based on a theme, working individually or in groups.

LM

6. kash645

kash645 New commenter

You will love Year 4. It's my favourite year group to teach. There are interesting topics/ Literacy units covered in year 4. Like many have already said, Year 4 children generally have a great sense of humour and some understand jokes/irony! My year 4's still enjoy sitting on the carpet for registration, 'sharing/ discussion' time. We have bean bags and big scatter cushions on our carpet( within our class library ), which they love chilling out on too during quiet/group reading sessions- it makes it a bit more comfortable too!
    Enjoy and have fun!

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Just that I love year 4, you'll love it, it's good fun. I wish I were staying!