1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Y6 to Y3!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stuffedcrust, Jun 15, 2011.

1. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

Help! Never taught lower than Y6 before. Any advice, must buy resources and ideas most welcome! I'm like a fish out of water here! Thank you.

2. stuffedcrust

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

firstly no sat teaching in the way you do in yr6
    Then you need to look at the school planndont buy till you have looked....and they resouces might al be there...you might need to lower your expectations and levels, but yr 3 are capable.even if they do struggle with stringing ideas together sometimes.
    Youhave them just come out of infants and might find them infant like for the first term.so look as yr2 curriculum and then gradually break them in to the work work stratagy of juniors. You wil find them wonderfully curious m but immmature in comparision to your yr6
    The best thing is to go and see the yrs 3 teachers.ask their help.or if plans are stored on the conputer access them and look to se how it set up! I never believe in reiventing the whell aand so use whats there and adapt to suit your own style and philosphy!

4. stuffedcrust, I'm similar... but dropping form Yr 6 to Yr 1!! [​IMG]
    Taught Yrs 4 and 6, and Yr 2 for initial block placement on PGCE 7 yrs ago, but never Yr 1. And in September they're essentially Reception.
    I am lucky in that I know I have a very supportive team - the teacher in the parallel class is going to take the bulk of the planning while I acclimatise (sp?!). My TA is very experienced in Yr 1 and everyone speaks extremely highly of her.
    My plan is to be a total sponge in the first few weeks - well whole yr really - there is so much to learn! Sponge as in soaking up information that is, not sponging off the rest of my team! Am planning to observe the Yr 1 teachers (have already shadowed for a day) and immerse myself in videos from teachers TV, if only just to pick up some ideas on communicating with the younger children.
    Have already discussed with the HT some key training areas but have warned her that I don't even really know what it is I don't know yet! So the door is open for me to flag up areas for PD at a later point.
    My biggest worry is that I am unfamiliar with the Yr 1 curriculum and expectations of ability levels (in Sept and by July!). Therefore as well as observing the current Yr 1 teachers, I will also be observing in Reception to help me get to know the children, begin to get my head round their ability level and also observe them in their current setting. As has already been mentioned, in September the priority is going to have to be a smooth transition and learning new routines (the children and you!). And to do transition well, you need to know where you're starting from, so I would really encourage you to ask the HT for some time for you to go and observe them in Yr 2. Incidentally, my HT is not expecting me to do this in my PPA - my class will be covered by a HLTA or supply teacher so that I can be released for this. The HT has also set aside a day for the Reception teachers to meet ith the Yr 1 teachers to discuss levels etc.
    Oh and will be spending some time before September thinking about classroom displays - topic and stimulus/reference that mat may be up for a longer time. So def worth trawling on here for websites with pics and resources.
    Out of interest, was it your choice to move down that low?

5. stuffedcrust

It wasn't my choice to move! Head says I need to get out of the SATs mind set. I'm petrified. I have a lot of phonics homework to do I think! It's a different world!

6. stuffedcrust

Can anyone suggest a good class novel?

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

mine used to adore horrid henry lol

but they like laughter and humour......some like the twits and charlie and the chocolate factory......ask your present yr 3 in school.

8. I am very jealous that you are moving to year three! Thats where i currently teach and im moving to rec in September! I can honestly say that teaching year 3/4 is brilliant! I complete a lot of my literacy around my history topics especially the tudors or egyptians! My class love this work! at the lmin we are making tudor houses and then completing some literacy around who lives in the houses, diaries etc.
    The children in year 3/4 are like sponges they just want to know everything! honestly u will luv it!

9. stuffedcrust

Thank you for your reassurance nicholaj69, I hope I like it as much as you do! I don't know where to begin with the frameworks / curriculum being up in the air! I've just ordered Click Clack Moo to use as a starter.