1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving from y6 to y2 - what's the difference? Eeek!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon63, Mar 5, 2011.

1. It is being mooted that I may move from year 6 to year 2 next year in school. I am excited and terrified all at once. I've only ever taught in KS2 and have taught in year 3, which I loved. I have vague understanding that I will be needing to teach phonics but at the moment that is a distant cloud as I don't understand it. I guess I should read up on 'Letters and Sounds.' What else? Do I need a class puppet? Do I need a new, bendier, wardrobe of clothes? What can I expect from littler ones? I am SO excited but want to make sure that if I do move I am good at it.

2. It is being mooted that I may move from year 6 to year 2 next year in school. I am excited and terrified all at once. I've only ever taught in KS2 and have taught in year 3, which I loved. I have vague understanding that I will be needing to teach phonics but at the moment that is a distant cloud as I don't understand it. I guess I should read up on 'Letters and Sounds.' What else? Do I need a class puppet? Do I need a new, bendier, wardrobe of clothes? What can I expect from littler ones? I am SO excited but want to make sure that if I do move I am good at it.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Lots of shoe polish, the toes on ALL your shoes will be worn out from kneeling on the floor!

4. Good call, maybe super strong toenail polish for the summer season too then.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Open toe shoes are not a good idea, the little poppets step on your toes as they squirm to get as close as possible! I had one with a nylon fetish, he used to sit and stroke my leg!

Apart from that , yr 2 are lovely ( 'tho I teach yr 6 now[​IMG])

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

I made a similar move a few years ago and managed to arrange an afternoon swap in the summer term before so I had a chance to familiarise myself with the sort of everyday stuff that goes on with littler people.
    I found the experience really challenging but so rewarding. It is great to move out of your comfort zone every so often.
    If you have a chance to get into KS1 next term, I would recommend it!
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't wear anything white or light coloured. Lots of' Miss!', as they clutch at your upper arm! (or whatever they can reach!)
    I agree you'll spend a lot more time kneeling or bending.
    They'll be much more enthusiastic & less self-aware than y6.
    Do go in & do some observations next term. You''ll find more hands-on stuff necessary & they will need reminding of instructions more frequently (use a whiteboard to show them what to move on to next as they'll forget),
    Enjoy them!

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Wear trousers all the time as you'll be in all sorts of positions.
    Also prepare yourself for doing all sorts of little jopbs yourself. Those things the Y6's can do for themselves and for you, the Y2's can't always.

9. Always wash your hands after tying shoelaces.

10. I do remember my first day in year 3 being really shocked by little things like I'd ask them to write the title in their books, I'd turn round to start writing on the board and by the time I turned back around there would be chaos and confusion about pencils, paper, lines etc. My year 3 colleagues found me hilarious for a while as I settled in. I am going to use some non-contact time to get into year 2.
    Phonics - do phonics sessions happen within the literacy lesson or as an additional session? How many times a week? Does guided reading happen as well? How many sessions a week?

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Think Y3 but more "needy"
    Daily phonics sessions outside the literacy lesson.

12. I'm in Year 2. At my school we do four literacy lessons a week, separate phonics sessions and then a guided reading carousel four times a week for half an hour straight after lunch. The guided reading carousel was interesting at first as the ones doing indepedent activities struggled to be indepedent, but I kept at it and it now works really well.
    I have a busy bee job chart as my year 2s are very keen to do jobs and once shown a few times are very capable. Alongside general class jobs they do their own filing etc.
    I have a tuff spot (big builders tray) and a role play area linked to the theme we are doing. The role play area often has challenges linked to their learning. They generally access the tuff spot, creative writing tray, book corner and role play area towards the end of some lessons when they have finished their work (they then come back for the plenary etc). I have a rota so areas don't get overcrowded.
    I do have a class bear for the children to take turns taking home. They write a diary entry for the bear and then read to the class. The children are very keen to do this. I do have a monster puppet who the children love and I use this quite regularly too.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fantastic ideas from singup there.
    I've seen a class bear who had their own mini suitcase, pyjamas, mini-bear, sunglasses etc, (depends on the season) & children were keen to be the one to take the bear home. Seen other colleagues who encourage children to take photographs of their activities with Bear too! (Good for those who can't write very well. Parents obviously do the photos but children use them as prompts for class feedback.

14. My year 2s are very independent

working in KS1 is harder than KS2 - but better.
    only difference between Y6 and Y2 is that SLT think Y6 is more important!

15. Ooooh, I think it's very controversial to say that working in any year group is harder than another. I am in year 6 now and I can assure you that having the pressure of knowing that the school's OfSTED fate pretty much lies in your hands is horrendous - SLT breathe down your neck all year. Dealing with the bad behaviour that comes with hormones is also tough. The marking burden is greater as the children write so much more etc. Every year group has its own pressures and strains and I'm sure they are all as hard as each other for different reasons. I am SLT and I don't think year 6 are more important but I do know that the LA, OfSTED and league tables all focus and hinge on year 6 - it's just the end result of 7 or 8 years of primary school.

16. Foundation stage practice is imperative for a good OFSTED.
    Just look at recent OFSTEDs and compare overall grades and their foundation stage grade.

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I teach Y2 and I'm SLT [​IMG]

18. I thoroughly agree that FS and KS1 are of prime importance - by the end of KS2 we're filling gaps and if the foundations are not secure nothing we do will stick. That's why I want to get into KS1 and ultimately FS. I can't continue up a leadership career without a really good understanding of each stage. Besides which, I love working with younger children. I've done my service in KS2 now, time to explore and awaken the learning part of my own brain.

19. I adore Key Stage 1 and would try my best never to have to go back into KS2! I think the challenges are obviously different, but I certainly would NOT say that KS1 is harder than KS2! Perhaps it's because I love KS1 but I reckon KS2 is harder ;-)
    Some of the KS2 teachers in my school say they couldn't cope with snot/other bodily fluids, "miss miss miss", the constant arm tapping etc- but I say give me that any day over hormonal pre-teens!!
    Enjoy- you'll love it! One piece of advice..... probably would be, if they say they need the toilet, let them go! Haha!

20. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

You make me laugh Clematis!!
    Beestoni - lots of advice given here from people, but from me.....as you can see each school has a different way of organising their KS1 approach to teaching. Take advice from here, but what you probably need to do is forget that you are SLT and be prepared to take advice from other KS1 teachers in the school. Remember...they know more than you!
    good luck with it all!
    You'll love it!!
    ps - stock up on costumes...we always seem to be dressing up!!! :)