1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Y5/6 to Y1/2 any ideas to share.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clatkiu1, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm moving from top juniors to KS1 and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to tell me what their best topics have been in KS1. We teach in a cross curricular manner and are whole curriculum is up for discussion at the moment so I'll pretty much be able to teach whatever topics I like as long as they haven't been taught this year.
    I'm not asking for planning, just some ideas. I've already got a few, just wondered what worked really well seeing as I've never been in this year group before.
    Many thanks

2. Hi all,
    I'm moving from top juniors to KS1 and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to tell me what their best topics have been in KS1. We teach in a cross curricular manner and are whole curriculum is up for discussion at the moment so I'll pretty much be able to teach whatever topics I like as long as they haven't been taught this year.
    I'm not asking for planning, just some ideas. I've already got a few, just wondered what worked really well seeing as I've never been in this year group before.
    Many thanks

3. Of course I mean our not are!

4. Trudy

Trudy New commenter

Could you speak with the class you will have next year and ask them what things they might be interested in learning about?

5. inq

inq

We have done a topic on Islands that the children loved. We went to an island (invited by local animal inhabitants as there was talk of the are being destroyed for housing), we did co-ordinates, wrote letters to the people in charge of the island explaining why we didn't want the new buildings, we looked at both sides of the argument as to why they were building, we made our own islands, we used keys on maps, we looked at globes and atlases and non-fiction books to do with islands.
    Last year we did a holidays topic in the summer term. we compared holidays from Victorian times and now, we wrote postcards, did lots of poetry about pirates (We linked it in somehow that made sense at the time!), did descriptive writing about pirates including Wanted posters, wrote pirate stories which we made into a book for our book corner. We looked at how we got on holiday now compared to Victorian times, we also looked at clothes and entertainment in Victorian holidays - we ended up with a day on the beach (As we are fairly close to the sea).
    We are about to start a topic on Florence Nightingale, we will start with a visit from a local nurse who will come and dress me in a hospital gown, put a name band on me, take my temperature etc We will look at healthy eating as part of this topic too. We will do some more non-fiction work in literacy where we make keeping healthy books with an index.

6. Hi. I'm also moving from 5/6 to 1/2 in September - slightly excited but unsure of what to expect as I've never taught in the infants.
    Some topics we have been discussing are:

Penguins
    Toys
    The jungle
    Transport
    Growing

That is as far as we've got- like the idea of asking the children when we have change over day. ?

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Under the sea was good, the circus, colours of the rainbow, farms, eco warrior, senses, ...