1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Y1 to Y4 - Any advice welcomed!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by liznaylor5, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I'm making the move this year from Year 1 to Year 4 and, although I'm excited, I'm sooooo nervous!!
    I'm fairly confident in teaching literacy, but dont know what kind of books you would use - I'm used to using books you can read and finish in a session, looking forward to using things like Roald Dahl etc, but what would you use for the unit on historical settings etc?
    What topics do you do? I'm not sure yet whether it'll be my own decision or whether there will already be topics in place for me to do but any ideas would be useful!!
    Thanks
    Liz

2. Hi there,
    I'm making the move this year from Year 1 to Year 4 and, although I'm excited, I'm sooooo nervous!!
    I'm fairly confident in teaching literacy, but dont know what kind of books you would use - I'm used to using books you can read and finish in a session, looking forward to using things like Roald Dahl etc, but what would you use for the unit on historical settings etc?
    What topics do you do? I'm not sure yet whether it'll be my own decision or whether there will already be topics in place for me to do but any ideas would be useful!!
    Thanks
    Liz

3. Hi
    I love year 4 and am sure you will too! Book wise, Amazon do a historical settings book list which is useful for a range of different themes. A book I have found to be a godsend for explanation texts is 'until I met dudley' by Roger McGough, I got the kids to design an alternative method of working for everyday objects and they loved it. Topic wise I've done lots of different ones though the most popular have been Rainforests, Australia, Egypt and Explorers (including role play Tudor ship). Some of the units are also on the long side so have found it useful to do two shorter blocks or make it into a book making project so the children have a longer term goal to aim for.
    Hope this is useful. Ask away if I can help with anything.

Jo