1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from unqualified pay to qualified pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Charley270394, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Charley270394

Charley270394 New commenter

Hello!

So I'm currently doing my first year of the Teach First LDP, and so I am paid by my school as an unqualified teacher. I am currently paid on Scale 2 as an unqualified teacher, does that mean that next year when I am qualified my school will pay the Scale 2 salary for qualified teachers?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Not necessarily - check with your school - they may start you as an NQT (M1) since you would be a Newly Qualified Teacher....

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and welcome to the forum.

In Ye Olden Dayes there were national payscales, and national rules for who got what when.

Nowadays there aren't. Neither of these. So it all depends on your school's Pay Policy.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think it likely that they will pay you at the bottom of the main pay scale, but that is up your school. BTW, M1 does not equal NQT - in theory somebody could stay on M1 for years or an experienced teacher could be given M1 when starting a new job.