1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from the classroom to a Music Service

Discussion in 'Music' started by qu1annie, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I'm looking for some advice really, I'm considering a possible move from the school to one of the local music services as I'm really fed up of being in school and all the politics, and especially the paperwork, data, and constant proving that I'm doing a good job, and being forced to shoehorn things into my lessons that take my attention away from music. (There are other issues in my school as well, and not many classroom jobs coming up.) I would consider a move into the music service as I would be employed under teachers pay and conditions and therefore would be on a par salary wise (have done my research with two particular local ones - I live near to 4 different counties so hence 4 music services). Has anyone done it? Do music teachers that teach in the music service enjoy it? Or am I going to just swap one set of issues and problems for another? I have talked to other teachers in the area and I know that things aren't like this in all schools, but I'm looking for a backup plan should no school jobs come up.

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

The only thing I would worry about is whether they would be able to guarantee your hours. Most music services are restructuring in light of government cuts...

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Music services bring their own paperwork, issues and demands. Your experience would very much depend on the county you work for, and what role you take on. As TrueFaith says, it would be a little foolhardy to assume full hours until the role of hubs are worked out.

4. I have felt exactly the same having run a dept for over 30yrs. The stress and demands have certainly increased over the last 10 yrs thanks to the target culture. I am retiring this year (taking an early pension) and because I have worked for a weekend music centre run by the county music service, I am on their books so to speak. I have been told by the service that there is plenty of work for me. In fact I will probably only want to work 2 or 3 days. I know I am in a very fortunate position because although there will still be aspects of paperwork, targets etc...... IT WILL NOT COMPARE to what I presently deal with in terms of stress and workload. I am thoroughly looking forward to working in other schools in a wider opps/peri capacity and achieving an improved work-life balance.