1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from TEFL/ESOL to main stream education

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sammylm76, Jan 13, 2016.

1. sammylm76

sammylm76 New commenter

Hi there,

I've been in teaching English as a foreign language for 17 years and am now interested in moving over to the mainstream after working at the university of Liverpool for a short spell last year (teaching English in secondary or higher education). I know I need more qualifications, but don't know of any, other than a PGCE.

My degree is in fine art but I have CELTA and DELTA qualifications for teaching English and really need some advice as to what to do. I work mornings only in a language school, so would need a part-time or evening course in the south of England, as close to Bournemouth as possible.

Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Samantha

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

3. tillybeany

tillybeany New commenter

I also moved from TEFL to teaching Secondary English. My first degree was English Lit though, so it was a more 'obvious' move. I'd guess you'd need to do a SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement) course to be able to teach English since it isn't your first degree? Probably contact a local course provider to make sure.

The choice in teacher training is a very confusing nowadays, what with:
    School Direct (Salaried),
    School Direct (Unsalaried),
    SCITT,
    'old style' PGCE,
    Teach First,
    Assessment only

...have I missed any? School Direct and SCITT courses can also have a PGCE qualification built in, so you may end up spending some time in Uni and writing Uni essays even if it's a 'new style' course.

You'll also need to get your QTS Skills Tests done and enough work experience in Secondary and Primary before you start (about 2 weeks IIRC).