1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from teaching to admin.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by lins611, Jan 19, 2016.

1. lins611

lins611 New commenter

I have been teaching in primary education for 18 years and have become disillusioned. I would like to continue in education but more admin based. How can I go about it?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You realise that this will result in a drop in salary.
    Have you looked at any likely jobs?
    Have you the qualities to meet the person spec. ?
    If not you need to correct this.

Best of luck.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Look for jobs, see if you can meet the criteria, apply for them.

Prepare to be disappointed by the money.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Look on the website of your Local Authority for jobs in their schools, and on the websites of Academies, Colleges and Universities for theirs.

Your local paper may also have advertisements from time to time.

Yes, the salary will be about 50% less, but less tax too, of course. And they may ask for good keyboarding skills, which you may or may not have.

If you decide to hand in your notice, read these two articles:

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school this is relevant even though not going to a teaching post.

How to resign - get that resignation letter right!

Many people find that just the very act of putting in their resignation makes them feel immediately better, less stressed.

Best wishes

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

To be honest I don't see how the desire for an admin job and wanting to stay in education link. By all means get an admin job, but why accept less money by doing it in education? Where you will only work term time?

6. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Uni jobs are year round and the pay can be reasonable, though not compared to teaching. I am moving to admin but I just don't feel drawn to working in insurance or finance. I am looking at all public sector though and charities etc.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

As someone who has worked in other professions I believe an admin job is an admin job. Why limit yourself to a certain sector? It is the same job really wherever you work if you are looking at basic, entry level admin. Why earn less to do it in.public sector?