1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from teaching to admin...or not!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Bevridge, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Bevridge

Bevridge New commenter

Hi all,

I want to make the move out of teaching into an admin job. I am currently a KS3/4 Science teacher with over 25 years' experience.

I fully understand that I will need to take a pay reduction and that's fine. However I'm not even getting in the door for an interview for jobs I could in all non-modesty do very easily, and very well. Perhaps I'm overqualified and too experienced but I have applied for both junior and more senior administration jobs and barely getting rejection letters, never mind invites to interviews. I've tried a mix of civil service and private sector.

So my question is - what is the magic incantation to write on my cover letter or CV to show that a teacher is actually ideal in a job that requires organisational and IT skills?

Thanks in advance

Bev

(PS Side question is, what is scaring them off?)

MathMan1 likes this.
  2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

It may be one of those catch 22 situations where they feel they want to see that you have experience being e.g. a PA etc. - but how do you get experience if no-one will give you the opportunity?
    Do you know any PAs or administrators whom you could ask this question? They are probably in the best position to give you good answers and discuss with you how an application/cv for such a post should look, and what skills and experience to highlight

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Have you tried a tempting agency first?

MathMan1 likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is going to be difficult, as other people will have more obviously relevant experience. For senior roles, somebody currently working in administration and looking for promotion is an obvious fit. The only thing I can suggest is emphasising the admin and organisational parts of your career as a teacher. When applying for a job, there will usually be a list of personal requirements, and you can find evidence for each of these in things you have achieved. As a teacher, you are probably used to searching for evidence and making it fit your PM targets! E.g, if the job involves dealing with people outside the employer, then talk about communicating with parents.

Sounds a great idea. Of course, a "tempting" agency sounds a lot of fun, but temping might help.:) (Sorry to point out a typo, but I thought it was a good one, and I agree with the idea.)

Corvuscorax likes this.
  5. MathMan1

MathMan1 New commenter

Bevridge, I'd suggest that the answer to your question about not getting past making applications for the PA style roles is related to your comment "...over 25 years' experience". Simply put, each recruitment agent is focused upon their commission, which will only be secured if a client decides to offer their client that job. That being so most only ever send the best-fit CV's to a client and if you've been out of that field (or never in that role) then you're going to be rejected by them.

Also, most/all applications and CVs are put through an automatic recognition system which checks for key words in your docs - not enough of those matching against the job spec = automatic rejection. If you google this you'll find some sites where you can put in your cv and it'll tell you what "it" thinks your main attributes are - if they don't reflect back the job app that's going to highlight why you may be getting those rejections.

In doing this you may be able to see where possibly the words you're using in your CV aren't matching with those the applications are looking for.

BTW there's also the other element of those "...over 25 years' experience.", simply put you might be too old for that client, who may want a younger / cheaper / more malleable person, but no rec agency or client would ever say so much in words.

6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Have you tried school admin jobs?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You ought to value yourself properly and see these attributes as making you too god for the jobs for which you apply.
    Being over quaified for a post is a surefire route to boredom and shock at the lack of,say, autonomy or skill input, and some employers will see through your stated intention and predict you feeling that way with them in the longer term. Maybe even by the end of the first week.
    Aim higher. Only go for admin jobs which will capitalise on your science background, eg in the medical profession, in research, in Higher Education. Look into educational resource research. Look into working for exam boards. Look into science teacher consultancy. Move away from the teaching you dislike,and proffer all your other subject and people credentials in areas where they are relevant. Customer service, complaints, recruitment. More than "just" admin.
    If you go for admin jobs at FE or Secondary level, as suggested above, you'll get bored. You'l see people running around doing what you used to do. And I suspect the perception of your application will be coloured by those thoughts too.
    The fact is a teacher will not be viewed as ideal in a purely administrative role because you bring too much to the table.
    Your disappointment will grow with any rejection, so minimise those chances from the outset-be more picky and creative.
    And post your CV online on one of the major job hunt sites-you'll be surprised.