1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from teaching ks2 to reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LiviAnne, Apr 26, 2016.

1. LiviAnne

LiviAnne New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently been told that I will be moving to teaching reception class next year. I am delighted about this but my training is in ks1 and ks2 only.
    Can you advise me on any books, documents or training that will help me get up to speed ready for September?
    Thanks

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Start with the "development matters 2012" document. There are lots of ideas and examples of things you could do. Also, ask to spend time in your schools reception class, but bear in mind September in a reception class looks quite different to now. You need to 'get your head around' being led by the children rather than planning what you want to 'deliver'.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love it!

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

"Development Matters" is the EYFS curriculum and is a useful document for explaining not only what children should learn, but how you (and other adults in the classroom) should 'teach' these young children.

I can highly recommend Anna Ephgrave's "The Reception Teacher In Action", which documents a year in the life of a Reception classroom and how to use different parts of the classroom and different activities to bring on children's learning at different points of the year. It's quite an easy read with lots of photos.

Julie Fisher's "Starting From The Child" is a more theoretical read, but is really interesting information about the importance of child-led learning.

Alistair Bryce-Clegg's website (abcdoes.com) and books have great ideas for current best practice. The books are quite thin and easy reads, but don't come cheap, unfortunately.