1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Teacher to inclusion support worker - advice please!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sali_mali82, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Hello!

I have wanted to have a shift in my career for while but need some advice. I have been a drama teacher and head of drama for 10 years and have often wondered about moving into SEN but lack direct experience, despite that of a classroom teacher requires.

A job has come up as 'Inclusion support worker' which I think might be a way in. It is a sigificant reduction salary wise and is a part-time post (which suits me currently anyway due to child-care). I wonder if this is a good move as I recognise I cannot jump into a higher SEN position without changing my career and this means working at a lower paid position that I have been.

Anyone able to advise if role of 'inclusion support worker' might give me scope to progress in my career, with a focus on SEN away from 10 years as classroom teacher (drama secondary).

Also the advert states term-time only which rings alarm bells as I guess this means no pay in the holidays which would be a real struggle actually (on top of the reduction to salary) I wonder if it might be reasonable, if I made it to interview, to negotiate having this a full contract not term time only??

Any wise people out there in this area.

Many thanks :)

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that as you have taught you will / should have a handle on all the factors which impact on students' poor performance in schools ? Consider this when you make your application. 'Inclusion ' and 'SEND ' is / can be interpreted in many ways as can ' support ' - from what you have written I suspect that this is post which may involve more mentoring / community involvement rather than be classroom based ( like a TA ). I doubt you would persuade the setting to change its policy on the nature of the contract on offer.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

All support positions like TAs, Learning Mentor, SEN Learning Support and the various other titles often for doing the same job, are only paid for the time you are in work never for holidays. Though the longer you work for that school/LA you do eventually get paid for some holiday time just like the people who work in the LA at their offices etc. Your salary will be paid monthly over 12 months so you do have money coming in each month.

Is the position in a SEN school or an ordinary Primary or Secondary?

4. Thanks both. It's secondary as would be out of my depth if it were primary as I'm a secondary teacher. I'd like to develop the role to eventually make the move to SEND as more posts I look at for SEN I don't have the experience for so I think going in at a support level might be the way. I assumed that meant no money during holidays but a bit better that spread out but then overall that is a bigger reduction in pay from what I've been used to. It's a choice of if this is to be a change that is worth it in the long run. A few things to think about.......thanks for advice! x

5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What sort of students with special needs are you wanting to work with? It's a very large field.

You have head of department experience and ten years teaching experience. Why do you feel you have nothing to offer as a special needs teacher? Maybe you need to visit a special school and talk to teacher doing the job. You might be able to do it by making links with your local special school as part of your professional development. Maybe even setting up some joint lessons with a local special school teacher. Drama is a great subject for joint lessons. I've seen some really good practice in this area.

Is doing some volunteering at something like a youth club for young people with SEN in the evenings or a week end whilst teaching a possibility? Maybe even supporting an after school drama club for special people? Then you could begin to apply your teaching skills and be within your depth to apply for a classroom teaching post (a step down from head of dept. but still teaching) maybe even in a special school if you felt it really is the way forward for you. In special schools we expect to train people on the job and support them. The right attitude, hunger for the job and a willingness to learn are the key factors. It's tough, it's a steep learning curve but it's well worth it. It's the best job in the world - if it's for you - and the worst if it's not.