1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from secondary to sixth form

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by fluffysheep22, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hi, I was wondering do you need any extra qualifications to teach sixth form English? My degree is in English and I have have pgce with QTS and am currently teaching in an 11-16 school. How easy is it to make the transition? Can you get a job without work experience? I'm confused by this system because in Belfast where I'm from most schools that I'm aware of have sixth forms so any teacher will just get the experience anyway.

Thanks

2. Hi, I was wondering do you need any extra qualifications to teach sixth form English? My degree is in English and I have have pgce with QTS and am currently teaching in an 11-16 school. How easy is it to make the transition? Can you get a job without work experience? I'm confused by this system because in Belfast where I'm from most schools that I'm aware of have sixth forms so any teacher will just get the experience anyway.

Thanks

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

In my experience, the age range that you completed your PGCE with does not matter as long as you achieved QTS (which you obviously have).
    My PGCE is secondary but with 14-19 years e.g. Year 10 to 13. But in my current school I teach Year 8 and 9 despite not having even trained to teach these years during my PGCE.
    Last year I went for a post as a Child Development teacher with 14-19 and they actually gave the job to a qualified primary school teacher. Obviously she understood child development but had no experience of teaching secondary, however as she had QTS the school could quite happily employer her despite her not being trained with the secondary age range.
    You can definitely go for sixth form teaching posts and also FE English lecturer jobs too.