1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Secondary to Primary.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dipsue, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Advice needed please.
    When school restarts in September I will be unemployed having been made redundant.
    I have worked in secondary for eleven years and would now like to work in Primary. I have NVQ 2 and 3 plus HLTA status.
    Are there any other course I would need, or that would be recomended to enable me to work in primary?
    Most ads ask for experience of working in the relevant keystage. I have SEN experience and have managed LSU for the past 7 years. Both roles have required me to support pupiils working below KS3/4.
    Any advice will be most welcome.

2. Advice needed please.
    When school restarts in September I will be unemployed having been made redundant.
    I have worked in secondary for eleven years and would now like to work in Primary. I have NVQ 2 and 3 plus HLTA status.
    Are there any other course I would need, or that would be recomended to enable me to work in primary?
    Most ads ask for experience of working in the relevant keystage. I have SEN experience and have managed LSU for the past 7 years. Both roles have required me to support pupiils working below KS3/4.
    Any advice will be most welcome.

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi firstly sorry to hear of your redundancy. I am sure most primary schools would welcome you, ours would and have indeed employed x Ta's from secondary. I would say apply and see what happens what have you got to lose, I would advise though applying for jobs within keystage 2 unless you are familiar with EYFS in keystage 1. All I could add is that you could find a significant difference working with children in years 3, 4 5 as they are obviously much more dependent than the age you are used to working with. Go for it and good luck.

4. Thanks for reply tamtams.
    I have some knowledge of early years as I have custody of my grandson. He will be 4 in September and I've had him for almost 2 years.
    He started nursery as soon as I got him and is now in Foundation. I would probably be looking at KS2 though.
    I'm thinking of doing some voluntary work for a couple of days a week and maybe registering for supply in the hope of earning while learning.
    I do have gaps in my knowledge but courses appear to cover what I've already done.