1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from secondary to primary after nearly two years out of classroom teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ESharratt, Sep 17, 2018.

1. ESharratt

ESharratt New commenter

I’m looking for advice on what the best way may be to move from secondary to primary class teaching.

My PGCE was back in 08/09 so times have definitely changed! Ideally I’d love to go right back to basics and relearn my profession in a primary context, rather than secondary, though no conversion courses seem to exist (in West Yorkshire anyway! There’s one in London but my two children prevent me from relocating for studying/placements). I can’t redo a PGCE, or similar route towards QTS, as I already possess it... but as a secondary music teacher.

I spent 9 years working in secondary music and since leaving that post I have taught with a music service, which included teaching curriculum music as PPA cover lessons. I got a taste for teaching the primary age group and have found it to be so much more rewarding than teaching the older key stages.

I’ve been looking into gaining handson roles to break into primary class teaching, such as volunteering in my own child’s school, and applying to do primary supply work. Through this I’ve been looking through the vast array of key documents connected to primary teaching... but aside from the National Curriculum (obviously!), which documents, online courses, key resources (etc.) would you recommend I study alongside these visits into primary schools?

Any advice will be warmly received. Many thanks in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

At least you are aware of the vast number of subjects you need to teach in Primary, it's surprising how many Sec colleagues don't realise they have to teach everything.

The best advice I can offer is to look at your own children's books and ask them what they do in school. That will give you a good idea of how many Primary schools work in Topics integrating many subjects.

3. ESharratt

ESharratt New commenter

Thank you. I am currently in contact with my own child's school to enquire about the possibility of volunteering, so I can 'get my foot in the door' and see more of how the wider subject areas within the primary curriculum is taught.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I managed the move via three years on agency supply, almost entirely in primary. I started off with day to day, picked up regular PPA cover, especially for Year 6 where secondary experience comes in handy for behaviour management. Then picked up longer term work for maternity, failed NQT and so forth and eventually a permanent post.
    Have to say Primary supply in one or two main schools was among the most fun I've ever had in teaching. I got to know the children across the whole school really well, got lots of enjoyable teaching and very little marking. And no meetings, data analysis or any of the other less enjoyable bits!
    I also learnt how to do the job well and less well by teaching many classes taught by many teachers with all sorts of ways of setting up their classroom.
    One word of caution. Primary teaching is far far harder work than most secondary posts. But also hugely rewarding.

JohnJCazorla, Lara mfl 05 and Pomza like this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes.

bevdex and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would agree with this, but it is also far, far more fun!

I also moved via supply teaching, years ago now.
    You couldn't ever pay me enough to go back to secondary maths teaching!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.