1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Secondary to Further Education

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by colmal4, Sep 27, 2015.

1. colmal4

colmal4 New commenter

What are the pro's and con's of this move?

Is it true that once you have moved from Secondary, that it is very difficult to move back?

What are the promotion prospects like at a College in comparison to a Secondary school?

Would appreciate some advice!

Many thanks,

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think that the answers to some of your questions will depend upon whether you intend to move to a Sixth Form College or a Further Education College. My experience of the former was fantastic whereas my experience of the latter was horrific.

3. colmal4

colmal4 New commenter

I don't suppose you could explain why?

Thinking of next career move, considering a move to a 16-18...

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Well, 6th form colleges tend to be, ime, more professional than FE colleges and use their funding for the benefit of the students. I suppose they are more like a good school ethos than the FE colleges. I think 6th form colleges tend to still use teacher's pay and conditions (although I expect that's changing more and more) but FE colleges have their own salary scales which are usually a lot lower than 6th form colleges. You'll almost certainly have much less holiday entitlement in an FE college (45 days ish) that has to be booked as in industry. FE is utterly skint and, just as an illustration, there were no staff pay rises for 4 years.
    Meaningful promotion better in 6th form colleges and I'd have thought that going back into secondary would be easier from there too.

5. colmal4

colmal4 New commenter

Cheers!

Anyone else keen to provide advice?

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Got no experience as such, but remember there are only 90 odd sfc's in the country. Depends where you are as to whether it is a possible move. Also where you are in your career and your long term plan.

Will it be difficult to get back? Depends on your subject, where you want to return to and your flexibility really.

Theo on career clinic has experience of sixth form college. Maybe post on there

7. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I made the move and have since moved back. I didn't mind FE but be prepared to work evenings delivering night school lessons and the holidays aren't as good. I like holidays and getting home at a decent time so I'm back in secondary.