1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Scotland to London??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CharleneC92, Nov 21, 2016.

1. CharleneC92

CharleneC92 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm currently teaching in Glasgow after training here and doing my probation year. I'm a Primary PGDE graduate and I've only ever taught within the Scottish Curriculum. I also have a prior degree in Geography. I'm currently considering the possibility of moving down south to teach.

I was wondering if anyone on here has done this successfully and can help me to get to grips with the major differences or difficulties you found in doing so, curriculum, planning, Ofsted etc. I know the interview process is very different as I have applied in the past but it's the day to day differences that I'd like to hear more about.

Also I was wondering how you went about getting interviews - applying yourself for posts or going through an agency?

T.I.A.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Hi ,

Many teachers have made the trek from North of Hadrian's Wall to the Smog. London is a big place and you need to consider which areas interest you- whether you want to be Inner or in Outer London - North, South , East, West.?You don't need to initially use agencies as many LA's still have primary pool applications where you can make one application then receive a centrally arranged interview. (I operate one in NE London so if you are interested send me a personal message click on the avatar)
    The majority of pools will start recruiting early next year. Look in the NUT First Post guide which gives guidance and contacts.
    Demand for primary teachers varies and some parts of London such as the South East and South West have a large number of locally trained NQTs coming from their local universities. There are less institutions in the North and East. Obviously there are more/less expensive areas to live and you need to do your homework beforehand.
    Good job hunting

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I'd just advise you to think through carefully all the pros and cons of a significant move such as the one you propose. I know of someone who made the opposite move to the one you're considering and they found things very, very different from what they were used to; family was suddenly very far away; friends were too far away to visit; the job didn't turn out to be all it promised. Of course a move can all work out fine and it can be the chance of a new start or an exciting adventure; but research thoroughly and look carefully before you leap.

4. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

I moved from Scotland to the North of England to outer London. There are far more jobs down here, and competition doesn't seem as intense. However, your standard of living will take a dip - I went from being a mainscale teacher in Newcastle, living in a 2 bedroom flat that I owned (with a mortgage of course), to being a HOD in outer London living in a grotty annexe in someone's garden. Annexes, lodging, flatsharing and studio flats/bedsits are all really common down here, even for working professionals. Now, as a member of SLT, I can finally afford to rent a 1 bedroom flat of my own :-/