1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Scotland to England

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by roamingginna, Jan 3, 2016.

1. roamingginna

roamingginna New commenter

Hi and Happy New Year to you all :)

I am in my seventh year of primary teaching in Scotland and am hoping to move to Northern England later in the year. It would be great to hear from others who have done the same. It seems like I'll take a pay cut, but I'm also wondering whether my terms and conditions might be reset - for example, the accrual of up to six months sick pay might need to be built up again.

To be fair, I have not heard a great deal of positivity about teaching in England. Ofsted, targets and the like. On the flip-side, a friend of mine does seem to have a full-time TA which sounds great, and chances of career development seem better Anyone have any positive contributions?

Many thanks in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You might find more information if you posted on one of the Scotland Forums, as people there may have investigated this.

Best wishes

roamingginna likes this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I don't know if the rules and regulations have changed as my experience was over 30 years ago :eek: but I taught in Scotland, straight after completing my BEd in England, for 6 years and then moved to the South East of England. I don't know about the pay and conditions you are asking about, but I was surprised that the two year probationary period I had completed in Scotland did not count in England as it was deemed 'overseas service' and I had to start my probationary period again. :confused: A few weeks after starting though I had a letter saying that I was deemed to have passed my probation. :) I think the head of the school I was teaching in put forward a recommendation. Might be worth a check if this is still the case - things may have changed since the 1980s!

4. roamingginna

roamingginna New commenter

Wow - that seems pretty unfair to me. I'll check it out - thanks for the reply!

5. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Successful completion of your probation in Scotland and full GTCS registration implies that you would be fully registered in England by the NTCL. No need to undergo any further probation. GCTS and NTCL can independently verify this claim for you. One advantage you have over someone in the English system moving up to Scotland is that you don't have to worry about being registered in England. For folks moving from England to Scotland, GTCS doesn't register anyone who completed ITT scheme other than traditional PGCE. This implies that those who qualified through schemes such as GTP, Teach First, Schools Direct, etc, are not eligible to be enrolled by the GTCS even if they are fully qualified and registered teachers in England.

Pay conditions is a different kettle of fish. You'll potentially loose all accrued entitlements with respect to salaries, off-sick payment, etc., etc. And, as you've already hinted, it's extremely more stressful teaching in England than is the case in Scotland. Best wishes with you move.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

That's an interesting and helpful reply @DrJay
    You use the word 'imply' here - is this because there is room for negotiation on this - or is it a definite no? I ask because my daughter-in-law, who is Scottish and did her first degree and Masters in Scotland, completed her ITT through the Schools Direct route. She is part way through her NQT year now (in England).

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The GTCS will look at qualifications and evidence but it's far more work and not at all guaranteed if you don't have a PGCE. The requirement is for a university based teacher training qualification.
    If your daughter in law has any interest in teaching in Scotland she should speak to the GTCS because it might be a case of keeping evidence on file of her teaching experience and academic reading and essays that she might otherwise throw away.

marlin likes this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Thank you @Flere-Imsaho

At the moment they are both settled where they are - but I was wondering about if, in the future, they wanted to return to Scotland. My son did his degree at a university in Scotland, which is where they met, and so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that one day they may decide to relocate - especially as her family are all there.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There are teacher shortages here which have prompted discussion about allowing people to work while they deal with getting fully registered.
    You'd be astonished at the number of people posting on the Scottish forum every year in surprise that their English teaching qualification is not accepted automatically in Scotland.

marlin likes this.
  10. jomurrie

jomurrie New commenter

Hi!

I was wondering how you got on with your move? Did it happen? I may be in the same situation so hoping for some advice...

Thanks