1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving from Private to state

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by wilkinson252, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    People say all the time that once you teach in a private school it is difficult to get a job in the state schools. I need some advice on how I try and persuade the school I am applying for to even look at my application. I am currently a Reception teacher and have been for six years and I am applying for a Reception teacher job so I do exactly the same job as they would do in a state school. Please give me advice!

2. Hi
    People say all the time that once you teach in a private school it is difficult to get a job in the state schools. I need some advice on how I try and persuade the school I am applying for to even look at my application. I am currently a Reception teacher and have been for six years and I am applying for a Reception teacher job so I do exactly the same job as they would do in a state school. Please give me advice!

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Well I would think that when you fill in your application form and through the application process, that will be all that you need to do, Your doing the same job as you say and if you have the skills the School is looking for then they will employ you.

4. Thanks for your reply. Do you think though that I should add a sentence in to my letter of application about wanting to move from the private sector to the state or not?

5. I would say , pick your school carefully. It can be tricky to get back into maintained
    Often there are are " nice" catchment areas where parents send their children to private schools at 8 , 12 or 13.. They often save their pennies for the Infant phases and go maintained for 4-7. These parenst can be pushy.
    These maintained schools from nice areas might see a Reception teacher from an independent school as a bit of a catch as it keep parents happy because they feel they are gettiing somebody with Independent school knowledge for free. Often the parents have been to prep school themselves and feel they have a common bond with a teacher from Inde. I know this sounds snobby but if you have worked in Inde you will know what I mean.
    Make sure you emphasise that you are up to speed with current training and if you are not then you must get on courses. Make sure you can talk the maintained talk and speak the EYFS speak and that you understand the pressures and demonstrate that you can manage a class of thirty, including special needs and behavioural and emotional, and EAL. Have a selling point like playing the piano, doing drama or an area of subject expertise or management.
    Let them know about all the extra curricular stuff and parent liaison that you do in Inde and just how demanding parents can be . They don't know the graft that goes with Inde teaching in maintained , they just think she can only work with 15 children in a class and long holidays, how hard can it be?.