1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Private Nursery to Primary School?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by idoia123, Feb 1, 2016.

1. idoia123

idoia123 New commenter

Hi all,

Hope you are well.

I am brand new to this site and have luckily stumbled across this whilst trying to find out more information on skills/qualifications etc needed to become a Teaching Assistance at a Nursery/Primary School.

I have been working as a Team Leader at various Private Nursery’s after being promoted from a Nursery Nurse. I have been working in Private Nursery’s for around 10 years now.

For the last 6 months I have been trying to get the chance of a role with in a Primary School / None Private Nursery, unfortunately with no success.

I have tried, writing to all Primary Schools / None Private Nursery’s, attaching my CV on the off chance they have vacancies available. I have searched the internet and applied for many Jobs around my area but not even getting the chance to Interview.

I believe I have a very good CV for the role of a Teaching Assistance but not sure if I am missing some vital qualifications etc.

Is there anything I can do in order to increase my chances of getting an Interview for a role?

I would appreciate any help and guidance you can offer me.

Thanks in advance.

Idoia. (Below skills etc from CV)

· 2009 -2012: BA Degree Early Years, Open University

· 2007-2009CACHE Advanced NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development

· May 2014: Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect

· Oct 2013: Fire Safety – Early Years

· Jun 2013: Implementing the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework (in-house training)

· Apr 2013: Manual Handling – Early Years

· May 2011: Behaviour Management

· Jul 2010: Paediatric First Aid

· Foundation Certificate in Food Hygiene (Sep 2006)

· Over 8 years’ nursery nurse experience ranging from children aged six months to four years.

· BA degree in Early Years and NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care Learning and Development, with good knowledge of the EYFS curriculum.

· One-to-one working, finding ways to stimulate children with Special & Sensory Needs and those without.

· Organised, self-motivated and able to cope well under pressure.

· Proven team player with the ability to effectively lead and manage a team.

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

You actually sound over qualified for the role if anything. Your qualifications and experience are all in the nursery and pre school range so are you just going for jobs in Nursery and Reception classes? I did wonder why you wanted to change as teaching assistants pay is relatively low but perhaps you want the school holidays and shorter working day. Teaching assistant jobs are always quite sought after as they are seen by mums to fit in with the school day so I can only suggest you keep doing what you are doing and look out for any vacancies.
    Had you thought of doing a PGCE to enable you to teach as you already have your degree?

One other minor comment , I realise this is just on a forum and you may have typed quickly but the role is Teaching Assistant not Teaching Assistance and you do have quite a few capital letters where they are not required. I hope they are not appearing on your letters and CV like this.
    Sorry not much help. Is it possible to volunteer for a half day a week or something to get yourself known in a school. I have known many TAs that started as volunteers.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Hi there. I agree with May2, perhaps try volunteering so that you can show you have direct school experience and get to know how the role is different from what you are used to.

It may be that you need to look at your applications. School jobs tend to have application forms and so a cv may be automatically rejected... are you completing the forms or just sending the CV? Also you need to show in your application how you meet the person spec for the job you are applying for. So for example a list like above showing what courses you have done will show your professional development but won't show your varied experiences actually working with children. I know that you've just shown a snapshot here, but think about how your application will stand out from others. When I was recruiting for level 3 TAS and had 100 forms on my desk, I quickly ruled out those with poor spelling and grammar, incomplete, or scruffy, then those without the qualifications we need. That would at least halve the pile. Then i'd be looking at what people had to say about themselves that met our requirements. On a good day there would be 10 worth a second look, which meant around 90 got rejected.

Good luck with it.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Not many schools will look at a CV, unsolicited or in response to an advert, they will have an application form to fill in. Secondly, in my area TA jobs are oversubscribed. Thirdly, you have really identified yourself with this post, so you might ask to have it removed.