1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from primary to secondary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by justpayingattention, Jul 29, 2020.

1. justpayingattention

justpayingattention New commenter

Hi everyone!

Having qualified and worked in primary for my entire career so far, I’m going to be moving from being a HLTA in a smallish local school this year (teaching was terrible for my mental health) to one of the secondaries nearby!

I’m still keeping the HTLA title, just moving from working with PP children and covering classes to working with small groups doing interventions across the school in the English department (they said my QTS was a big help)! I openly admitted I need training in the secondary English curriculum when asked what training I’d like in the interview, but I’d like to do a bit of work on this over the summer..

Can anyone recommend any good free online courses/books to read that would give me a bit of a head start before September? They do the AQA GCSE if that’s any help.

Thank you!

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Future Learn have a course for secondary TAs, it's called something like Supporting Learning in Secondary Schools.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I would have a look at some texts the students study at GCSE. I have put a star next to the ones studied at the schools near me, but I would properly be best if you check with your new school.
    • Macbeth*
    • Romeo and Juliet*
    • The Tempest
    • The Merchant of Venice
    • Much Ado About Nothing*
    • Julius Caesar.
    Robert Louis Stevenson-The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde*

Charles Dickens-A Christmas Carol*

Charles Dickens-Great Expectations (1867)

Charlotte Brontë-Jane Eyre

Mary Shelley-Frankenstein (1831)*

Jane Austen-Pride and Prejudice

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle-The Sign of Four

JB Priestley-An Inspector Calls*

***** Russell-Blood Brothers (musical version)*

Alan Bennett-The History Boys

Dennis Kelly-DNA*

Simon Stephens-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (play script)

Shelagh Delaney-A Taste of Honey

jarndyce likes this.