1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Primary to Secondary

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by sgt_jawilson, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I am a Primary School teacher (who has taught for eight years) and have been wondering for the past couple of years how I would go about moving into Secondary. My degree is in Religious Studies so obviously would become an RE teacher.

I have contacted my local LEA and Union Representative about it, but I would like your help. Both parties have told me they are not sure about it, but to follow 'your instinct'. Does anyone know if I can do this straight away (I am willing to offer my free time in a high school to get 'experience' and am willing to start before September) or would I need to retrain? I am very committed to do this, but need some advice. Can anyone help?

2. I am a Primary School teacher (who has taught for eight years) and have been wondering for the past couple of years how I would go about moving into Secondary. My degree is in Religious Studies so obviously would become an RE teacher.

I have contacted my local LEA and Union Representative about it, but I would like your help. Both parties have told me they are not sure about it, but to follow 'your instinct'. Does anyone know if I can do this straight away (I am willing to offer my free time in a high school to get 'experience' and am willing to start before September) or would I need to retrain? I am very committed to do this, but need some advice. Can anyone help?

3. san38

san38 New commenter

You don't need to re-train - you have QTS and can teach any age group. you do however need to persuade a school to give you a go and so I think voluntary work in a senior school will be a must. You should bear in mind also that RE is looking v.dodgy in some schools currently - read old threads on the impact of the ebac. I have mentored secondary PGCE students for some years and qualified RE teachers are finding it harder to get employment year on year. Don't mean to sound too negative - but you need to be be aware that it will be harder to do this than it used to be - 5 years ago schools were crying out for good RE teachers but things have become much tougher of late.