1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from primary to secondary teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lef001, Mar 2, 2016.

1. lef001

lef001 New commenter

Hi . I am relocating back to Uk from NZ and considering abit of a change to secondary geography teaching. I have a BED hons + 25 years experience, with Geography as my major subject. Also read that there is a bit of a shortage of geography teachers. Does anyone have any experience of this or moving sectors? Thanks

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If you have not been teaching in the UK for some considerable years, you may be in for a shock when you see the what it is like teaching in UK schools. Many are not pleasant places to work in because of the challenging behaviour. There are some decent schools, but they are hard to find. If you saw some of the extreme behaviour in UK schools you would be shocked unless it is the same in NZ. The working hours are also a lot longer because of the large class sizes and demands. It is common for teachers here to work 60+ hour weeks.

losemind2findself likes this.
  3. lef001

lef001 New commenter

Thanks for the reality check. Actually the most challenging behaviour I have experienced in my career has been here in NZ and yes, heavy work load here too.

losemind2findself likes this.
  4. losemind2findself

losemind2findself New commenter

5. lef001

lef001 New commenter

Still interested in anyone's experience who maybe has moved from KS2 to KS3/4

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i moved the other way. I would say the workload in secondary is far more manageable than in primary. unless you are a whizz at teaching English Grammar(or the weird government version), you might want to avoid primary just now!