1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Primary to Secondary TA...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by SecondEd1, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have just accepted a job as a primary school TA, (it was quite easy to get as I am male) however I really want to be working in a secondary school because I want to do a PGCE in either 2012 or 2013 to be a PE teacher. I'm still going to be applying for secondary jobs, I already sent 3 applications off before I was offered the primary job yesterday. My question is how easy is it to convince employers that by working in a primary school I am also capable of stepping up into a secondary school? I have done work exp. in the past during college, university and even just because I wanted to do some in secondary school's, so I have some experience, but with my most recent employment being in a primary school will this put secondary school's off hiring me? I had planned on doing some volunterring in a secondary school because this TA job is just afternoons but the hours have changed slightly so I will not be able to do this now.

Thanks

2. All experience will be invaluable.
    I started off as a Primary TA, moved to Secondary TA (and some coversupervision) before doing my PGCE. Found it really helped. Now in my NQT year. ALL my previous experience has been useful both in getting a job and in doing!
    When I moved to Secondary, they really valued both my Primary experience and the reason I moved to Secondary.

Good luck!

3. I worked in a Junior school for 11 years and then went to a secondary school. I think they appreciated all the work I did in the juniors. Don't forget that yr 7 of a secondary school in September is not that much different from yr 6 in a junior school. Also a lot of TAs are helping the lower ability in secondary school.

You may not be able to do this as I don't know how old you are but on my application and in my interview I said that although I have not worked in a secondary school before I have experience of my own children and their friends being teenagers.