1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Moving from primary to further education

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jen g, Jun 23, 2015.

  1. Jen g

    Jen g New commenter

    I am very interested in moving from being a primary school teacher to a further education lecturer - child care/ teaching. I have been teaching for 17 years and am now a deputy head teacher. What qualifications do I need to make the move? Has anyone any advice on making the move?

    Thanks in advance
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    None specifically. But you will need to look at adverts - even ones not near you - to see what they are asking for, and then do a draft E.S. to see what experience you need.

    These are two entirely different subjects in entirely different departments teaching entirely different qualifications at entirely different levels!

    I have been a Vice Principal of a FE College, believe me when I say this!

    Read this advice article:

    Becoming a Teacher Educator in a University

    As a teaching qualification in a FE College is linked to a University usually, it is relevant to you. For Childcare courses, of course, it would not be. But I doubt if you have childcare experience.

    Do you realise that lecturers in FE get paid less than main scale teachers? As a DHT you will lose a lot of money . . .

    Best wishes


    Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

Share This Page