1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Primary Teaching to Secondary Teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by esaciar, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I qualified as a Teacher back in June 2010 and have been working at the Primary School in which I gained my QTS through my NQT year. I have recently been considering the possibility (and indeed the plausibility) of moving from Primary into Secondary.

I taught Year 3 in my first year but have since taken Year 6 during the last two years and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am of the assumption that QTS qualifies you to teach up to the age of 16, but I am unaware of any extenuating circumstances and requirements that I might need to meet in order to increase my chances of making such a transition.

I was looking to move into Secondary History as I particularly enjoy the subject and successfully passed an A-Level in it back in 2003.

Are there any higher requirements than that level, would be my first point of questioning and if so, what do I need to do to address them?

Are there any refresher courses or introduction courses that I could or should be going on to increase my chances?

And, other than applying for jobs, is there anything else I can be doing to make this a possibility?

I am perfectly happy where I am, but I now I would be even happier making a move.

2. Hi all,

I qualified as a Teacher back in June 2010 and have been working at the Primary School in which I gained my QTS through my NQT year. I have recently been considering the possibility (and indeed the plausibility) of moving from Primary into Secondary.

I taught Year 3 in my first year but have since taken Year 6 during the last two years and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am of the assumption that QTS qualifies you to teach up to the age of 16, but I am unaware of any extenuating circumstances and requirements that I might need to meet in order to increase my chances of making such a transition.

I was looking to move into Secondary History as I particularly enjoy the subject and successfully passed an A-Level in it back in 2003.

Are there any higher requirements than that level, would be my first point of questioning and if so, what do I need to do to address them?

Are there any refresher courses or introduction courses that I could or should be going on to increase my chances?

And, other than applying for jobs, is there anything else I can be doing to make this a possibility?

I am perfectly happy where I am, but I now I would be even happier making a move.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

What is your degree in? If it is not in History then I would suggest doing an OU history course fo some form e.g. a certificate or a diploma. You are already qualified to teach History in Secondary schools but History is not a shortage subject so you would find it difficult to get a job (apart from some difficult schools) unless you could demonstrate study at a higher level as you would be competing against cheaper candidates with more relevant qualifications.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

What is your degree in? If it is not in History then I would suggest doing an OU history course of some form e.g. a certificate or a diploma. You are already qualified to teach History in Secondary schools but History is not a shortage subject so you would find it difficult to get a job (apart from some difficult schools) unless you could demonstrate study at a higher level as you would be competing against cheaper candidates with more relevant qualifications.

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I agree with Scienceguy's good advice. At one time I might have suggested a move to a middle school, but as they are due to half in number from Spetemeber, not really good advice any more.