1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Post 16 college to secondary school

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gsp06sk, Jan 18, 2012.

1. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

I am a secondary trained NQT currently employed in a 6th form college in London. I have started on point 4 of the payscale. What will happen if I move to a secondary school? I am keen to move back nearer my home & would be happy to be on a lower payscale to achieve this.
    Thanks

2. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

I am a secondary trained NQT currently employed in a 6th form college in London. I have started on point 4 of the payscale. What will happen if I move to a secondary school? I am keen to move back nearer my home & would be happy to be on a lower payscale to achieve this.
    Thanks

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I assume that your 6th form work is paid on the qualified teaching scale. If you complete 26 weeks minimum at M4 pay in this school year, you would move to M5 in September for any LA paid teaching work ina school.
    Moving out of London could mean that M5 pay is less than you currently get if you are in Inner or Outer London or slightly more if you are currently at a school in the Fringe area.
    You can't be paid at a lower pay point. Employment rights are protected and rightly so as you will have paid more in pension contributions on your current pay point. If employers could downgrade staff, we'd see those nearer retirement being put on lower paypoints and getting lower pensions (final salary based system or average earnings).
    I don't know how things are worked out if you transfer from another pay spine such as an FE one.